RE: [iwar] A question...

From: Riccardo Sibilia (sibilia@ims.ee.ethz.ch)
Date: 2001-04-10 04:35:14

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
Content-MD5: BUZ6vPI4hOVlU/D+WbiGFg==
From: Riccardo Sibilia <sibilia@ims.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:35:14 +0200 (MEST)
Subject: RE: [iwar] A question...

Jim, shouldn't we consider IO a nice way of saying IW to please some people on
the hill?

*covert* is maybe the wrong word (that the reason why I asked for corrections).
It is meant in the sense that by bombing that particular target (a microwave
tower, for example) you do not want to implicitly disclose your true goal of
influencing that particular decision maker (or perhaps you bomb him directly, in
which case it does not matter). I agree with you about this. Mk 84 and JDAM can
be very useful means of IW to distrupt or destroy enemy decision capabilities.

In fact you could perhaps explain me something: since the US JCS doctrine
encompasses both offensive and defensive IO, and IO can be used both in times of
peace or war (and everything in between), what are the peacetime applications of
offensive IO? don't you think that anybody confronted by O-IO will consider it
an act of war at a certain point?

Anyways... here the link to a paper I presented back in 1999 at the FiestaCrows
conference in San Antonio and a slide from that same Paper:

http://www.ims.ee.ethz.ch/~sibilia/sanantonio.pdf
http://www.ims.ee.ethz.ch/~sibilia/IW_operations.pdf

enjoy :-)

Rick

--
Riccardo Sibilia                              sibilia@ims.ee.ethz.ch
Inst. fuer militaerische Sicherheitstechnik   http://www.ims.ee.ethz.ch/
Auf der Mauer 2                               Tel. +41 1 252 6260
8001 Zurich / Switzerland                     Fax. +41 1 252 1667

Find software faster. Search more than 20,000
software solutions on KnowledgeStorm. Register
now and get started.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/1OWqsB/yMSCAA/7f4EAA/kzAVlB/TM