[iwar] re: DDOS attacks

From: David Alexander (david.alexander@bookham.com)
Date: 2001-06-06 01:56:22

To: 'iwar submissions' <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: David Alexander <david.alexander@bookham.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:56:22 +0100
Subject: [iwar] re: DDOS attacks

Jim

>So let's see if I have captured some key points, being a non-expert and
>having looked a bit at what Fred says about it( ;) ) and what I already
>knew:
>
>Simple steps to prevent DDoS:
>
>- Monitor out going packets - something still not done as frequently as our
>emphasis on incoming packets.
>
>- Maximize redundancy of availability - Like Fred does, or the Akamai
>service model.
>
>- Test your connection load, including (money is no object) redundant
>servers and load balancers, like MS did during the famed "zombie attacks"
of
>last year.
>
>Do these capture some quick and easy steps?

1. Those steps, to design IP filters, are not easy or quick unless you have
a lot of knowledge in those areas.
2. By putting those filters in place you effectively reduce the
functionality of your own services by closing certain doors.
3. Read the following (long, but very good) article, which explains why you
cannot maintain full connectivity and service against a well-planned and
technically competent DDOS attacker, no matter what you do.

http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

Sorry. I wish it were otherwise.

David Alexander M.INSTIS
Global Client-Server, Communications & Infrastructure Manager
Bookham Technology plc

DDI:     01235 837823
Mobile: 0779 988 1284
David.Alexander@Bookham.com

This e-mail is intended for the person it is addressed to only. The
information contained in it may be confidential and/or protected by
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you must
not make any use of this information, or copy or show it to any
person. Please contact us immediately to tell us that you have
received this e-mail, and return the original to us. Any use,
forwarding, printing or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.

No part of this message can be considered a request for goods or
services.