RE: [iwar] Arab/Israeli "CyberWar" of our own making

From: John Sforza (jsforza@rochester.rr.com)
Date: 2001-06-11 07:02:59

To: "Iwar@Yahoogroups. Com \(E-mail\)" <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: "John Sforza" <jsforza@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:02:59 -0400
Subject: RE: [iwar] Arab/Israeli "CyberWar" of our own making

Where is the classification of escalation of conflict regarding computer
based info systems?
I don't consider a punch in the nose to be in the same conflict
classification as being targeted and fired on  by a M1 Abrams. Web
defacement is annoying, Site DDoS raises the level, but to what? I see this
as terrorism more than war (not criminal activity unless an infraction of
law was involved).
I have always associated war with a diplomatic bend. I see so much effort to
classify everything in security by technique, method and impact why are we
using the most reactive term regarding incidents? I will give Winn his due
on Infowar but the classification is too broad and it's usage has the
potential to lead to the 'button push - nuclear holocaust' syndrome.

> I agree that we need to continue to consider our definitions, but I do
> think that in this case I have made a credible case for what cyber
> warfare may be and that the PLO Israeli conflict supports this notion.
> Whether the intensity is again picking up is the question I would like
> to see answered and documented here.

Perception has a lot to do with this. I have no cultural commitments in that
theatre and as such identify the frequency of activity as increasing but do
not consider the intensity of conflict as rising. An Israeli associate of
mine however reacts VERY differently. Any increase in frequency is attended
by a perception of cultural and personal attack, he considers that the
conflict intensity is rising significantly.

I like the term cyber-conflict more than cyber-warfare but I concede that
your term is better that *war.