[iwar] Re: Why do you track Code Red attempts?

From: ellisd@cs.ucsb.edu
Date: 2001-08-08 08:23:25

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: ellisd@cs.ucsb.edu
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 15:23:25 -0000
Subject: [iwar] Re: Why do you track Code Red attempts?

Are you usually satisfied with knowing only that an earthquake
happened and not what magnitude it was?  Part of it is the "empathy"
(aka "morbid curiosity") factor that non-geeks have.  The geeks just
call it curiosity (the "because it's there" answer).  An earthquake,
however, is admittedly an inadequate example: we didn't create the
earthquake and we didn't created the earth wherein we dwell.  However,
we did create the internet and we did put our servers on it and we did
participate indirectly in propagating the attacks.  It's entirely our
monster.  The monster is the community we created.  The whole problem
evokes a sense of community out of me.  Who knows, maybe living in
California really tripped me out socially, but I find it odd that
somebody wouldn't want to understand what is going on in this
community and do what they can to foster "awareness" (oh, no--I am a
Californian!) and do their part to solve the problem locally with the
hope of improving the community.  The numbers thing is the
socially-inclined (darned PC) geek's way of saying "I care".

--- In iwar@y..., "JunkMail Rosenberger" <junkmail@b...> wrote:
> A serious question -- why do so many people track the Code Red
attempts on
> their servers?  Do they merely succumb to morbid curiosity?  Do they
hope to
> save the Internet by tracking down the owner of every compromised
machine?
> Did they not receive any Melissa/ILoveYou/Kournikova emails and now
they
> just want to feel like they're part of the crowd?  Do they want to
prove
> they know enough to calculate a (useless) personal number?  What
gives?

> Again, I ask this question in all seriousness.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/kgFolB/TM