Re: [iwar] Computer and Network Security vs. Information Privacy and Confidentiality (fwd)

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-08-09 07:48:31

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 07:48:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] Computer and Network Security vs. Information Privacy and Confidentiality (fwd)

Per the message sent by Anonymized for your protection:

> When did the processes of protecting the the data systems and network
> infrastructure become synonymous with information protection? When the
> population in general admitted that the systems they depended on to
> create, manage and communicate their information were too complex to
> handle directly.

Looks right to me.

> With each incident and attack on the information infrastructure
> (like CodeRed) the IT community as a whole takes a more aggessive
> posture regarding monitoring and data control.

Looks right to me too...

> Some federal judges are protesting the monitoring of their computers by
> Washington managers concerned about personal Internet use.  The judges
> of the 9th U.S.  Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco claim the
> practice is illegal.  They are pressing to get it stopped, and the
> Supreme Court chief justice and other judges will consider the request
> next month.  To demonstrate their discontent, judges of the 9th Circuit
> ordered staff to disable monitoring software in May.  The weeklong
> shutdown affected 10,000 court employees in the Circuit, which covers
> nine states and two territories, and two other court
> districts......continued......

We have given up our personal freedoms in exchange for 'security' - but
we are not getting security - are we? Indeed, we are getting less
security and the federal law enforcement types are getting more power to
monitor and coalate information on us.  Our rights to privacy and
ownership are eroding and the threat/fear of cyber terrorism and other
suchthings are being used to take these things away from us.  The right
to free expression is being pushed as well - by the arrest of the
Russian who published a paper on how to break a code after DefCon - for
example...

FC
--This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to serve--
Fred Cohen		Fred Cohen & Associates.........tel/fax:925-454-0171
fc@all.net		The University of New Haven.....http://www.unhca.com/
http://all.net/		Sandia National Laboratories....tel:925-294-2087

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!