[iwar] Re: news

From: ellisd@cs.ucsb.edu
Date: 2001-08-10 07:54:39

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: ellisd@cs.ucsb.edu
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:54:39 -0000
Subject: [iwar] Re: news

--- In iwar@y..., Fred Cohen <fc@a...> wrote:
> August 9, 2001
>
> FBI doubts amateurs are behind 'Code Red' As the "Code Red II" virus
hit
> more computer networks and continued spreading overseas Wednesday,
the
> FBI thinks the worm was launched by sophisticated international
hackers
> =97 not teenage amateurs.  According to security experts and federal
law
> enforcement officials, the FBI does not believe so-called "script
> kiddies" are behind the Code Red attacks that have struck 400,000 to
> 800,000 server computers since mid-July.
> http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2001-08-09-code-red-fbi.htm

NIPC (the FBI's hi-tech center) thinks that anything that is hard for
it to do is hard in general--a faulty assumption.  I agree that this
is more than a script kiddie.  But it is not above the skill level of
any computer science student (probably junior-level).

> The Hunt For the Worm Writers Internet users have become all too
> familiar with SirCam and Code Red, but the creators of the two worms
> that have plagued the Internet this summer remain a mystery.  If the
> FBI's National Infrastructure Protection Center has its way, the
> identities of those who wrote and released the malicious little
bundles
> of code into the world will be known soon.  "We are very serious
about
> finding the authors of Code Red and SirCam," the NIPC's Debra
Weierman
> said.  "Intentional transmission of worms or viruses across the
Internet
> is a felony.  This is a major offense, not some inconsequential
lark."
> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,45956,00.html

Here is my 2 bucks saying that unless the perpetrator claims
responsibility (brags, etc.), they will never catch him/her.

[snip]

> Adobe Hacker off Hook in Russia A Russian computer programmer
accused of
> circumventing U.S.  copyright protections on electronic-book
software
> will not be prosecuted at home if U.S.  authorities allow him to
return,
> police said Thursday.  Dmitry Sklyarov, 26, is in Northern
California
> awaiting trial, and could face five years in prison and a $500,000
fine
> if convicted of violating the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
 He
> was released on $50,000 bail Monday after being arrested July 16 at
> Las Vegas convention.

I just read the DMCA for the first time.  My reaction is "what idiot
signed this into law?"  They suggest that the way to deal with the
Emperor's New Clothes is simply to force everybody to keep their eyes
closed.

> Day trader settles charges of false Lucent postings Fred Moldofsky,
> Texas day trader accused of posting fake press releases on the
Internet
> claiming Lucent Technologies Inc.  would not meet earnings
projections,
> agreed to settle fraud charges, federal securities regulators said
on
> Wednesday.  Moldofsky, a Canadian citizen, agreed to a final
judgment
> permanently enjoining him from future securities violations, the
> Securities and Exchange Commission said.  He did not admit or deny
the
> civil charges brought by the SEC, and he will not have to pay a fine
> based on his sworn inability to do so, the regulatory agency added.
> http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/tech/052885.htm
> [FC - Please note that according to this, he has agreed to not
violate
> the law again and sworn he doesn't have any money...  quite a
punishment
> - yes?]

The fellow who did the Amulex hoax last year (sent out a false press
release saying Amulex would not make expectations and the Pres. was
being fired) got several years in prison.  I thought that was a light
sentence.

> Judge orders FBI to reveal 'key logger' details Law enforcement's
> penchant for high-tech surveillance has again collided with the
public's
> right to privacy.  This time the question is whether FBI agents can
> plant a secret monitoring device that records everything typed on a
> computer user's keyboard.  A federal judge ruled Aug.  7 that the
FBI
> must explain to him how a monitoring device called a "key logger
system"
> works.  Depending on how the device collects data, its use may have
been
> illegal.
> http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2001/0806/web-fbi-08-09-01.asp

Maybe the FBI doesn't realize that this has been made public
already....

[snip]

> Driving Away With Wireless Secrets Some nights when they are bored
and
> the traffic is light in downtown Philadelphia, Russell Handorf and a
> friend take what they call a "war drive" through the city's
financial
> district.  They're looking for wireless networks to sniff.  Recently
> this summer, as Handorf, a student at Philadelphia's Drexel
University,
> was on a slow midnight cruise with his friend at the wheel and his
Dell
> notebook across his lap, the computer's wireless network card
started to
> pick up a strong signal - right across the street from the
headquarters
> of a major regional bank.
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/168883.html

You don't even need to take a drive.  You can have a directed antenna
which picks up signals for miles.  I only know of one of the major
corporations within a few miles of my home (out of about a half dozen)
that use WEP over their wireless connections.  Sitting in your own
home, all you need to do is turn the antenna and get an ISP for free
(and internal access to DHCP-administered corporate LANs).  The funny
thing is, that their DHCP gives out IP addresses without any checks.
Their are no banners saying "Don't use this unless you are
authorized."  It's essentially saying "IP addresses. . .get your IP
addresses here."

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/kgFolB/TM