RE: [iwar] Computer and Network Security vs. Information Privacy and Confidentiality

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2001-08-10 11:55:57

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:55:57 -0700
Subject: RE: [iwar] Computer and Network Security vs. Information   Privacy and Confidentiality

At 12:56 AM 8/10/01 -0700, you wrote:
>--- Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov> wrote:
> > At 03:06 PM 8/9/01 -0400, you wrote:
> > >Tony wrote..
> > >

>The web is already an anonymus venture in some ways, however, if we are
>forced to accept pervasive encryption as the only manner in which we
>can protect out privacy,  we are headed toward a  type of
>compartmentation that only our pals in the intelligence community have
>to deal with.  Protecting information about classified programs  is one
>thing. Becoming a classified person with the ability to be a peeping
>tom on the net concerns me a great deal.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "classified person".  If you mean that
persons who protect themselves vie encryption will yet be able to invade
the privacy of those who do not use such protections, then you are
right.  But those who choose not to protect themselves are at fault, not
the the ones who do.

As Fred indicates, it is far more troubling when it is government that
holds the "we can see you and you can't see us" card.  We imbue government
with extraordinary powers in order to do a job on our behalf, yet we must
scrutinize the application of that power at every turn, for power easily
grows unchecked into abuse.  Unlike troublesome individuals, government
wields extensive powers to investigate and coerce behaviors across the
broad spectrum of citizenry, and the threat is ever present that such power
will be used to thwart the people's ability to effect legitimate control
over government activities.

>There is clearly a
>significant problem when the issue of computer security and personal
>liberties are conflicted.  How can we "deconflict" this situation, or
>without a oversight body, will the net become more like the "Dodge
>City" of old?  It will be people v security v verification.
>This has already become a problem with online businesses.  What's next?
>
>Tony's possible solution is interesting, but does it require all on the
>net to be as cyber-literate as many on this space? I would like to hear
>any suggestions.

There was a time when one needed to be very "cyber-literate" in order to do
something as simple as FTP a file, or send an e-mail.  I have forgotten
most of the command-line flags that were then necessary to configure such
activities.  Today, folks just point and click, and there are helpful
dialog boxes for exceptional cases.

Ok, it is still not a simple proposition.  A robust key-management
infrastructure is required, and although (average) users would prefer to
remain blissfully ignorant of those mechanics, key management is precisely
the core "trust issue" that must remain in the hands of the individuals, or
else the resulting "security" is illusory.

Regarding the "compartmentation" issue:  With ubiquitous encryption and
authentication controls in place, the "providers" of either information
content or discussion fora will always have the freedom to allow, or
disallow anonymity and confidentiality on a venue-by-venue basis.  Here in
"meatspace" I can join with select individuals and carry on a very private
conversation, or choose to stand on a soapbox (as I am right now) and
express my views publicly.  The ability to choose among such venues should
not have to suffer in the cyber realm.

Cheers!

___tony___

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!