RE: [iwar] Computer and Network Security vs. Information Privacy and Confidentiality

From: e.r. (fastflyer28@yahoo.com)
Date: 2001-08-10 21:16:18

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:16:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: [iwar] Computer and Network Security vs. Information    Privacy and Confidentiality

--- Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov> wrote:
> At 12:56 AM 8/10/01 -0700, you wrote:
> >--- Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov> wrote:
of what you say- a guy with cyber common sense- and I guess what I
> >Wanted to say was, in this net of virtual lock pickers, we have
already seen  identies stolen and it is hard to get your real record
back. The recent case of a few hundred thousand people having their
credit card info inadventantly end up on the net is also a bummer.
Theft of person, or simple "errors" like the credit card matter might
make the average Joe to no longer want to be a Netizen.
As the web will only get more porus unless there is a technologic
break-through, what can be done to "safe" a persons privacy and protect
them from theft, be it whole person identiy or simply info like credit
cards, both of which can used and it is tough to stop this abuse. Even
malicious alteration of records fall into this group.  Might you have
any ideas as to how not we in IWAR world, but how Joe and Jane Q
Six-Pack can be convinced it is safe to e-wander, or shop, or publish
to the net....etc.? Ideas?
Sorry I was not clearer, Tony.

>The web is already an anonymus venture in some ways, however, if we
> are
> >forced to accept pervasive encryption as the only manner in which we
> >can protect out privacy,  we are headed toward a  type of
> >compartmentation that only our pals in the intelligence community
> have
> >to deal with.  Protecting information about classified programs  is
> one
> >thing.Protecting info that is critically private is another matter.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by a "classified person".  If you mean
> that
> persons who protect themselves vie encryption will yet be able to
> invade
> the privacy of those who do not use such protections, then you are
> right.  But those who choose not to protect themselves are at fault,
> not
> the the ones who do.
>
> As Fred indicates, it is far more troubling when it is government
> that
> holds the "we can see you and you can't see us" card.  We imbue
> government
> with extraordinary powers in order to do a job on our behalf, yet we
> must
> scrutinize the application of that power at every turn, for power
> easily
> grows unchecked into abuse.  Unlike troublesome individuals,
> government
> wields extensive powers to investigate and coerce behaviors across
> the
> broad spectrum of citizenry, and the threat is ever present that such
> power
> will be used to thwart the people's ability to effect legitimate
> control
> over government activities.

Right. Last time I checked, the Constitution  said something that "it
is the right of the PEOPLE to alter government, or abolish it to
protect the goverened"  It is actually the sam idea as above, but the
government is the bad guy.

http://im.yahoo.com/

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!