[iwar] re: fog of war

From: David Alexander (david.alexander@bookham.com)
Date: 2001-08-24 03:31:00

To: 'iwar submissions' <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: David Alexander <david.alexander@bookham.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:31:00 +0100
Subject: [iwar] re: fog of war

>I am NOT trying to nitpick, play a semantic game or otherwise, more to
start a small snowball rolling ... but:

>A USA tank was destroyed in a well-publicized incident, bringing to many
Americans a new definition for 'friendly fire.'

>This single (publicized) incident amplifies the problems due to appreciable
IW responses to 'the fog of war.'

>How can IWAR better serve its cause, in delineating when to BACK OFF from
reliance on IWAR?  Or conversely, when can humans agree, and through what
means, >that all the technology in the world may be insufficient to
conclusively decide to KILL or observe in some more reliable (traditional)
fashion?

>Lest one think that this is only one occurrence, a similar situation caused
the deaths of 4 missionaries in a small plane only months ago, over Peru.
(or >Columbia? my fault)

Let me say that, as an ex RAF pilot I am qualified to comment on this. I
have been shot at by my own sides' ground troops in the Falklands !

Friendly fire is by no means a new phenomenon. The reporting of it is. Since
time immemorial soldiers have inadvertently been killing their own side. The
fact is that the friendly numbers killed has dropped dramatically as
technology and procedures improve. The amount of 'blue on blue' bombing
conducted in WWII by the US alone was staggering, especially in Normandy
after D Day.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it is acceptable, far from it, just that
it is not the big deal that some people make it out to be. As with all
things, you conduct a pareto analysis to work out where the best place to
apply your (always limited) resources is, and right now more lives can be
saved by working on other aspects of IWAR than IFF (Identification Friend or
Foe). I think the level of blue on blue has reduced almost to the point
where we are into the realms of the human error - no matter how good the
technology, simple blokes like me will still find creative ways, when under
immense pressure, to scr*w it up.

just my 2c

David Alexander M.INSTIS
Global Client-Server, Communications & Infrastructure Manager
Bookham Technology plc

DDI:     01235 837823
Mobile: 0779 988 1284
David.Alexander@Bookham.com

This e-mail is intended for the person it is addressed to only. The
information contained in it may be confidential and/or protected by
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you must
not make any use of this information, or copy or show it to any
person. Please contact us immediately to tell us that you have
received this e-mail, and return the original to us. Any use,
forwarding, printing or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.

No part of this message can be considered a request for goods or
services.
Any questions about Bookham's E-Mail service should be directed to postmaster@bookham.com.

Get VeriSign's FREE GUIDE: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Learn about using SSL for serious online security. Click Here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/KYe3qC/I56CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM