[iwar] Re: Why 'conventional' terrorist groups Not utilizing Cyber/

From: ellisd@cs.ucsb.edu
Date: 2001-08-27 06:07:26

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: ellisd@cs.ucsb.edu
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:07:26 -0000
Subject: [iwar] Re: Why 'conventional' terrorist groups Not utilizing Cyber/

Good question and comments MAGLAN and Fred.

--- In iwar@y..., Fred Cohen <fc@a...> wrote:
> Per the message sent by MAGLAN 1:
>
> > Why 'conventional' terrorist groups (main reference: Patterns of
Global
> > Terrorism" - US State Dept)., e.g. :  Kurdistan Worker's Party
(PKK),
> > Chilean Communist Party (FPMR),  Fronte di Liberazione Naziunale
di a
> > Corsica (FLNC), Osama Bin Ladin,  :
> > 1. Not utilizing Cyber Terror / Computerized Terror against their
opponents
> > / targets?
> > 2. Not 'integrated' 'conventional' terrorism with Cyber /
Computerized
> > Terror ?
>
> > or may they are ?
>
> > Thanks in advance for any answer.
>
> Indeed a complex question - or at least I will provide a complex
response.

> I should begin by indicating that I studied this very question with
> group of others in some detail until our funding ended a year or so
ago
> (sponsor diddn't have any more budget and couldn't find anyone else
with
> budget to support it - strange world when cyber terrorism is all the
> scare but nobody wil support real study of the issues...).

Definitely indicative that leadership is paralyzed with incompetence.

[snip]

> Answer to the first question:
>
> Many groups identified in the State Department's list of terrorist
> organizations do use information technology in a wide variety of
ways,
> including 'against' their opponent.  These range from the use of IT
> coordinate their activities, to gain intelligence about their
enemies,
> to trigger explosive devices, to cause economic harm to their
enemies,
> for propaganda, to pressure individuals and other groups, to take
from
> their opponents, and for a wide variety of other things.  Different
> groups use different IT solutions for different applications,
depending
> on their needs.  They build or buy capabilities which in this arena
are
> generally well within their available budget and they use them in a
well
> coordinated manner according to their intent.

Maybe they have developed more advanced tools and are just waiting for
a special occasion.  Or maybe they are developing more sophisticated
tools and realize that they don't know how to control it.  Is either a
likely scenario?  As for available budget, what kind of budget is
necessary to develop offensive weapons?  I suggest that a small lab of
half a dozen PCs, a couple of staff years, an internet
connection--easily under the $40k mark for developing countries.  I
don't think budget is the limiting factor.

> Answer to the second question:
>
> Integrating 'computer terror' with 'physical terror' has been tried
but
> has not proven highly successful in the sense that terror isn't
greatly
> heightenned by using computers rather than other media for conveying
> messages.  The sound and smell of an explosion seems far more
effective
> than the defacement of a web site, and it gets more publicity over a
> wider area.

I agree that bombs are more effective than web defacements.  But I
don't think they are more effective than more sinister attacks.

>They apply technology where it best suits them.  Why
> don't
> they 'bring down the power grid' with IT or some such thing? Because
it
> is not within the scope of their capabilities and intent as of yet,
or
> because it's not as easy or cheap as a well placed hand grenade.
Those
> that do attack infrastructure are highly successful with
conventional
> explosives.  Why go to the time, expense, etc.  of cyber attacks
when
> they already have the capability with less e3xpensive and easier to
use
> items?

Capabilities (creativity, expertise, knowledge), intent, resources
(time, finances, materials), effect -- very reasonable breakdown of
the prerequisites.

Of these, I think capabilities is the most limiting factor.  I have
already discounted budget.  It may be true that there exists some
operations that have a very high startup cost, but such are the
exception: there is a lot of low-lying fruit.

As for intent...  I don't believe at all the idea that some of these
militants have refrained from executing absolutely devastating attacks
because they just didn't want to.  As far as hatred goes, there is
more than enough to destroy the world several times over.

As for effect...  There may be something here.  I think they know the
effect that they want to achieve (fear, anyway possible).  As for what
attacks will bring about that effect is a harder question.  Web
defacements have obviously fallen short of terror.  Are there more
sinister attacks that could have a greater effect, produce more
terror, than a well-placed bomb?  I think so.  Are they cheaper or
easier to execute than placing a bomb?  I don't know.  But I don't
think they are an order of magnitude more expensive or harder to
execute (assuming the proper expertise is in place).  Dissensions
welcome.

The capabilities then, are what I suggest is the limiting factor.
Specifically expertise, creativity, and the right mindset.  By
expertise, I think of expertise in dealing with information systems
(including computers), the decision cycle.  I think there are at least
some terrorists who have the expertise.  (After all, the US higher
education system is doing a great job of training students across the
world--at least a few of which will apply their skills thus.)  I think
the hard part is creativity and getting the right mindset.  The
ability to understand a system well enough to know how to break it is
the prerequisite mindset.  This mindset is not that common.  Most
people just want to abstract away the complexity of life and the
universe.  There are a select few who are not satisfied with the
black-box approach to life.  They want to understand how everything
works.  Having understood how something works, they then know how to
break it.

However, the mindset is not enough.  There must be sufficient domain
knowledge.  That is, they need to understand how to break something
that matters.  Breaking a program or a computer is not too hard.  But
breaking something bigger: air traffic control systems, C2 systems,
financial systems, power systems, etc.--these require a high degree of
domain knowledge to understand how they work, and how to break them.
The hard part is translating the tactics (breaking computers or
information systems) into strategy (how to break a larger system to
get the desired effect).  This is the knowledge that the terrorists
lack.  This is also a reason that the insider threat is such a
significant threat.  It is true that an insider has access and
authorization, but equally important is an understanding of how the
system works well enough to break it.  Once an insider has left (i.e.,
lost authorization and access), he still poses a significant threat
because of his knowledge of how things work.  Combine this domain
knowledge with the proper mindset and intent, and voila, you have a
potent threat.

Conclusion: if terrorists want to perform very sinister attacks, they
need to:
-understand what effect they want (terror)
-what large system needs to be broken to achieve that effect
-somebody who domain knowledge and knows how the system works and how
to break it
-somebody who can provide the low-level operations to do that

Dissensions are, of course, welcome.

Any thoughts?

> A very brief summary - but still a bit long for the venue.

This is one area that I think needs to be explored with a lot more
scrutiny.

Get VeriSign's FREE GUIDE: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Learn about using SSL for serious online security. Click Here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/KYe3qC/I56CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM