Re: [iwar] Preparing for 'Network-Centric' Warfare

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2001-08-29 18:51:36

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:51:36 -0700
Subject: Re: [iwar] Preparing for 'Network-Centric' Warfare

At 07:38 AM 8/28/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Preparing for 'Network-Centric' Warfare
>
>By Vernon Loeb
>Washington Post Staff Writer
>Monday, August 27, 2001; Page A13

[snip]

>ROGUE MISSILE THREATS: Addressing a missile defense conference last week in
>Huntsville, Ala., CIA Deputy Director John E. McLaughlin focused on three
>rogue state missile threats -- Iran, Iraq and North Korea -- and a "cross
>fertilization" among these and other nations that makes missile threats
>possible.
>
>Iran, he said, will soon field a Shahab-3 medium-range ballistic missile
>(range 1,300 kilometers) capable of hitting Israel, Saudi Arabia, Turkey --
>and U.S. forces in the Persian Gulf.
>
>Iraq has rebuilt "several critical missile production sites," McLaughlin
>said, and is hiding a small number of Al Hussein short-range ballistic
>missiles (range 650 kilometers) that can strike Israel, Iran, Saudi Arabia
>and Turkey.
>
>North Korea, the biggest threat of all, he said, could test a long-range
>Taepo Dong 2 capable of hitting parts of the United States with a
>"nuclear-sized payload" sometime in 2003.
>
>How do such nations develop sophisticated ballistic missile technology?
>
>The North Korean No Dong, developed initially from Russian Scud technology,
>forms the basis of the Iranian Shahab-3 as well as Pakistan's medium-range
>missile, McLaughlin said.
>
>Iran and Pakistan, meanwhile, are viewed by CIA analysts as potential
>"secondary" proliferators, eager to turn their technology imports into
>exports for hard cash they can turn around and use to import still more
>technology.
>
>Russia and China further complicate the picture, McLaughlin said, peddling
>technological know-how and missile components to the rogue nations of the
>world.

No doubt, all of this is true to some extent, however...

I wonder how the good scientists and engineers from North Korea, Iran, and
Pakistan must feel when the world's major superpower (US) promulgates the
notion that without the technological gifts from "parent nations", these
professionals would be unable to rub two sticks together.

A question:  If it were possible for these "rogue nations" to fully develop
major offensive capability without the help of other nations, would we (the
US) still hold to the line that they got the capability from (Russia,
China, etc) in order to pressure those parent nations into policing "their
children"?  That is, to let it be known that should any overt act on the
part of "the child" occur, we would hold "the parent" responsible?

Just a thought.

___tony___

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM