[iwar] http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/story_18294.asp

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-11 12:40:38

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 12:40:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/story_18294.asp

05:08 AEST Wed 12 Sep 2001

Arafat horrified, Palestinians celebrate US attacks

AP - Thousands of Palestinians celebrated Tuesday's terror attacks in
the United States, chanting "God is Great" and distributing candy to
passers-by, even as their leader, Yasser Arafat, said he was horrified.

The US government has become increasingly unpopular in the West Bank and
Gaza Strip in the past year of Israeli-Palestinian fighting, with many
Palestinians accusing Washington of siding with Israel.

In the West Bank town of Nablus, about 3,000 people poured into the
street shortly after the attacks on the World Trade Centre in New York
and government targets in Washington.

Demonstrators distributed candy in a traditional gesture of celebration.
Several Palestinian gunmen shot in the air, while other marchers carried
Palestinian flags.  Nawal Abdel Fatah, 48, wearing a long black dress,
threw sweets in the air, saying she was happy because "America is the
head of the snake, America always stands by Israel in its war against
us."

Her daughter Maysoon, 22, said she hoped the next attack would be
launched against Tel Aviv.

In traditionally Arab east Jerusalem, there was a smaller gathering of
about two dozen people, many of them young children led in chants by
adults.  Some drivers passing the scene honked their horns and flashed
victory signs from their windows.

Arafat and his top advisers huddled at his seaside office in Gaza City,
watching the events unfold on television.  Arafat later emerged to speak
to reporters.

"We are completely shocked.  It's unbelievable," he said.

"We completely condemn this very dangerous attack, and I convey my
condolences to the American people, to the American president and to the
American administration, not only in my name but on behalf of the
Palestinian people.

In the West Bank, meanwhile, the leader the Democratic Front for the
Liberation of Palestine denied his group was involved in the attacks.

Qais Abdel Rahim was reacting to reports that two Arab satellite
stations in the Gulf had received anonymous claims of responsibility on
behalf of the DFLP, a radical PLO faction.  Abdel Rahim said his group
condemned the attacks.  str-kl

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM