[iwar] Irish National Day of Mourning - Friday

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-12 07:58:23

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 07:58:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] Irish National Day of Mourning - Friday

Taoiseach declares Friday as national day of mourning

By Fiona McCann  Last updated: 12-09-01, 14:23

The Taoiseach has declared Friday to be a national day of mourning for the
victims of the US terrorist attacks.

Mr Ahern announced in Dublin that all Government offices would be closed.

A Government spokesman said: "We hope people in the retail and commercial
sector will close their businesses as well."

The arrangements were discussed today at a cabinet meeting.

Yesterday the Taoiseach Mr Ahern described the series of attacks which
destroyed the World Trade Center and damaged the Pentagon as the worst act
of terror anyone could imagine. Thousands of people are feared dead.

Mr Ahern spoke of his horror after breaking off talks yesterday morning
with the US special adviser on Northern Ireland, Mr Richard Haass, and
newly appointed US ambassador to Ireland, Mr Richard Egan.

"At this time our thoughts are with the families of the victims in their
mourning and we offer our deep and heartfelt condolences to President Bush
and the American people," said Mr Ahern.

He offered his "heartfelt condolences" to "President Bush, the American
people both in this country and back in the United States" for what he
called "a terrible day in world terrorism".

He described the attack as "a terrible and horrendous atrocity which every
right thinking person in the world will condemn".

The President, Mrs Mary McAleese also expressed her shock at the terrorist
attacks in the US. She described the attacks as "crimes against the very
foundations of all our humanity".

Mrs McAleese said the terrorists would "be the winners" if they succeeded
in changing the open way of life in the US and in civilised democracies.

She said: "It is simply unbelievable to be actually witnessing such wanton
destruction of human life unfolding right in front of our very eyes.

"It's not just a crime against the American people, it's not just a crime
against the American civilisation. It's a crime against the very
foundations of all our humanity.

Copyright The Irish Times/ireland.com

Get VeriSign's FREE GUIDE: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Learn about using SSL for serious online security. Click Here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/LgMkJD/I56CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM