[iwar] Thoughts

From: Tim Weaver (weavermt@yahoo.com)
Date: 2001-09-12 08:54:10

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tim Weaver <weavermt@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 08:54:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] Thoughts

Here are some observations I posted on another board
last night:
- - -
1. George Shultz yammering about how nobody could have
predicted someone hijacking an airliner and using it
as a bomb. I guess he hasn't read "Debt of Honor" by
Tom Clancy.

2. "This was the work of a well-coordinated and well
funded group who may have had assistance from
groundcrew or mechanics in getting weapons on the
airplanes...at least 50 people would likely have been
needed to coordinate this attack." (synthesis of news
talking heads and others)

No, I think perhaps it is not as sophisticated or
complicated as this. One cell call (from an airplane)
indicates about 3 guys with knives/knife-like
implements. Figure one or two more in the cockpit. Add
one for good measure. That's 6.

6 bad guys * 4 planes = 24 bad guys.

As most of us know, airline security is a joke. Also,
airline regs allow Leatherman tools and knives up to
4" as carry on. No ground crew needed.

Coordination probably equaled: "We want attack to
occur roughly at 09:00. What flights leaving where
would allow us to hit targest X, Y, and Z at that
time?"

Think of this from high school math: "Train A
leaves Chicago at 7:15 am travelling at 62 mph. Train
B leaves Los Angeles at 08:00 am.....I think I got one
or two of these right, so my guess is coordinating
flights isn't a problem.

So, 24 guys on 4 flights with $1,000 tickets =
$24,000. Chump change in the terrorist world.

I could very well be wrong and likely am. But I think
the newsies and talking heads are making this out to
be much more complicated than it needs to be.

Oh, and one item no one has mentioned that a friends
thought of: they picked flights bound for California
since they'd have the most fuel and, thus, make a
better bomb.
- - -
Since posting this, it seems that there were 3-5
people per plane with knives and knife-like
instruments.  One supposedly had a bomb.  Some
passengers were apparently told to call loved ones
because they were going to die.  Yet no one did
anything.

That aside, someone using Microsoft Flight Simulator
could have gained enough knowledge to drive a plane
into the side of a building.  Read a manual or go to a
flight school, and you can learn to program where you
want it to go.

Newsies are making this out to be much more
sophisticated than I think it needs to be.  Granted,
this wasn't a "hey, who amongst us terrorists wants to
come with me a blow up Americans?" type of
recruitment, but they're making it sound as if
hundreds of people and millions of dollars were behind
this.

Do you know 25 people who could keep a secret?

TimW
Phoenix

http://im.yahoo.com

Do you need to encrypt all your online transactions? Secure corporate intranets? Authenticate your Web sites? Whatever
security your site needs, you'll find the perfect solution here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wOMkGD/Q56CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM