[iwar] [fc:Poll:-Americans-Believe-Attacks-'Acts-Of-War']

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-12 15:35:56

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:35:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Poll:-Americans-Believe-Attacks-'Acts-Of-War']

USA Today
September 12, 2001
Poll: Americans Believe Attacks 'Acts Of War'
By Mark Memmott, USA Today
Americans who woke up Tuesday in peace went to bed at night convinced their
nation is at war. A USA TODAY/Gallup/CNN Poll taken Tuesday afternoon and
evening showed: Eighty-six percent of those surveyed described the terrorist
attacks as acts of war against the United States.
Even more, 87%, described what happened as the "most tragic news event" in
their lives.
Almost half, 48%, said they'll be less willing to fly in the future. Even
so, 50% said the attacks would have no affect on their flying plans.
The number worried that they or someone in their families would become a
victim of a terrorist attack, 58%, was the highest since just after the
April 1995 Oklahoma City bombing. Then, 42% were so concerned.
Fears and worries were common.
"I don't fear for my safety," said Julie Appel of Atlanta. "But I fear for
the safety of my children (3-year-old Brenner, 1-year-old Max). What will
happen to their world because of this?"
"I'm very scared," said Kevin McCaskey, 47, of Lancaster, Pa., who was stuck
at Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport on the way from Baltimore to
Nashville. "I wish I didn't have to fly anymore, but I don't think my job
would allow that."
"This is war. This is no joke here," said Rachel Osensky of Powder Springs,
Ga. "People who are brainwashed can go a long way. You can't ignore them."
President Bush received strong support Tuesday. More than three-quarters of
those polled, 78%, said they are confident he can handle the situation. But,
"this is really going to test his mettle," said John Carrier of Seattle.
Most people urged the president to wait before using the military to take
any action. Only 21% said the United States should conduct immediate
strikes. Seventy-one percent said to wait until those responsible can be
identified.
As for whether the United States will be able to find those behind the
attacks, 52% said it's "very likely" that will happen. About a third said
it's "somewhat likely." Though they viewed the attacks Tuesday as the most
tragic news in their lives, most Americans said they won't make major
changes in the way they live. About two-thirds said they won't alter how
they live to make themselves less vulnerable to terror.
Adam and Carolyn Kaplan were married Saturday in Niantic, Conn., and were
trying to get to Aruba for their honeymoon. Instead, they were going to
spend Tuesday night in Atlanta. "It's hard to be concerned with ourselves
when you've got all that stuff going on up north," Adam Kaplan said. They
said that the attacks had not made them hesitant about flying. "You can't go
through your life living in fear," said Carolyn Kaplan.
Even so, nearly 4 in 10 said they will make some changes - about twice the
number that said that after the Oklahoma City bombings.
Some said the events have both scared them and given them a firm sense of
resolve. "I feel like I've lost my sense of security," said Adam Nilay, 20,
a college student and bank teller in Moorpark, Calif. But, "this makes me
feel like if I did have to serve in the military there would be a good
reason. It wouldn't be some faraway, vague cause. It would be right here."
Contributing: Dennis Cauchon in Charlottesville, Va.; Kathy Kiely in
Washington; Jill Lieber in Atlanta; David Leon Moore in Los Angeles; Patrick
O'Driscoll in Denver

Do you need to encrypt all your online transactions? Secure corporate intranets? Authenticate your Web sites? Whatever
security your site needs, you'll find the perfect solution here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wOMkGD/Q56CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM