[iwar] [fc:Terrorist-Denies-Link-To-Strikes-But-Thanks-God]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-13 13:20:00

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:20:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Terrorist-Denies-Link-To-Strikes-But-Thanks-God]

London Times
September 13, 2001
Terrorist Denies Link To Strikes But Thanks God
By Zahid Hussain in Islamabad
Osama Bin Laden last night denied his involvement in the World Trade Centre
terror attacks, but congratulated those who carried them out.
According to a senior aide, the Saudi exile "thanked God and bowed before
him" when heard the news of the attack.
A leader of bin Laden's al-Qaeda organisation was said to have spoken by
satellite telephone to a correspondent for Abu Dhabi television from his
base somewhere in Afghanistan.
"Bin Laden has praised those who have carried out the attacks in the United
States," he was quoted as saying. He claimed, however, that bin Laden did
not have any information or knowledge about the attack.
Ausaf, an Islamabad-based Urdu-language newspaper, has also published a
statement from bin Laden supporting the attacks in which he also vowed to
continue the jihad (holy war) against the United States and Israel. "It is
America which is supplying Israel (with) weapons to kill innocent
Palestinian children," he declared.
The statement was reportedly delivered to the newspaper editor by a close
aide of bin Laden. "I promise to liberate Palestine from Israeli
occupation," he added. "Hundreds of my young supporters across the world are
prepared to lay (down) their lives for the cause of Islam."
According to the aide, bin Laden refused to show any sympathy for those
killed: "Why does the world not care for innocent Palestinians who are being
brutally killed every day?" he said.
Bin Laden, who has been living in Afghanistan since 1994, said that he would
continue fighting until the last drop of his blood. "It is my desire to lay
(down) my life in the cause of God," the Saudi fugitive said.
Bin Laden has been accused of masterminding the bombing of the two US
Embassies in East Africa in 1998. The Saudi millionaire, who escaped an
American retaliatory missile attack on his base in eastern Afghanistan three
years ago, said the United States was "the biggest terrorist".
"The Americans want to kill me, but it will not solve their problem. Several
other Osamas would rise if I am killed," he said.
The Taleban authorities deny that bin Laden has been involved in terrorism
and claim that his movement has been restricted. Abdul Salam Zaeef, the
Taleban Ambassador in Islamabad, said that bin Laden was a poor man and
could not use Afghanistan's territory against any country. He said that all
his communication facilities had been withdrawn and his activities were
controlled.
Mr Zaeef claimed that bin Laden was not allowed to use the telephone or
Internet.
The Taleban regime calls the Saudi millionaire its "honourable guest" and an
"Islamic warrior". Defying the demand of the United Nations, the Islamic
fundamentalists have refused to extradite him to the United States for trial
on charges of masterminding the attack on the East African American
Embassies.
Mr Zaeef said that his Government was prepared to expel him from Afghanistan
provided that the United States provided evidence of bin Laden's involvement
in terrorism.

Get VeriSign's FREE GUIDE: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Learn about using SSL for serious online security. Click Here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/LgMkJD/I56CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM