[iwar] [fc:Many-in-U.S.-Reach-Out-Via-E-Mail-After-Attacks]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-13 13:26:04

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:26:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Many-in-U.S.-Reach-Out-Via-E-Mail-After-Attacks]

Many in U.S. Reach Out Via E-Mail After Attacks

By Sue Zeidler, Reuters, 9/13/2001

With phone lines sometimes jammed and emotions still running high,
millions of Americans reached out to friends, relatives and colleagues
via e-mail on Wednesday, a day after the deadliest terrorist attack in
U.S. history shook the nation.

U.S. Federal Communications Commission (news - web sites) (FCC (news -
web sites)) Chairman Michael Powell urged Americans early on Wednesday
to be patient as companies worked to keep basic communications systems,
such as telephone and mobile phone services operating.

But many grew impatient. ``I got through to about one out of 40 calls
this morning,'' said one Manhattan resident, voicing a grievance echoed
by many.

People also complained about jammed Internet networks, although e-mail
for many was still the initial link with loved ones during the crisis.

``My friend e-mailed me Tuesday morning to say she wasn't coming because
we were under terrorist attack. I thought she was joking, but when I
called the airline, they were telling me things were closing down and I
turned on the TV,'' said Jane Clark, an actress in Los Angeles.

Throughout the day, Clark said she received e-mails from friends in New
York telling her they were okay. It was also through e-mail that she
finally got word to another friend, worried about his father, who had
scheduled a business appointment at the World Trade Center on Tuesday
morning.

A sampling of Web exchanges between family members and friends over the
past two days offer haunting glimpses of the shocking events that
unfolded through the nation.

'WORLD SEEMS LIKE IT'S FALLING APART'

``I hope everything's all right out there. I watched the World Trade
Center collapse this morning from my window at work. The world seems
like it's falling apart,'' wrote a New York computer technician to his
sister in California.

``My main concern was a cousin who works in Morgan Stanley. Luckily, he
answered my e-mail almost immediately on Tuesday and said he was working
on 27th street,'' said Bruce Forest, a Connecticut-based media
consultant.

Investment firm Morgan Stanley Dean Witter had 3,500 employees in the
World Trade Center, which was demolished by two hijacked airplanes on
Tuesday. Another hijacked airplane plowed into the Pentagon (news - web
sites). Thousands are feared dead.

A spokesman for America Online, a unit of AOL Time Warner (NYSE:AOL -
news), said AOL users sent 1.2 billion instant messages on Tuesday as
they tried to seek out loved ones or simply vent their emotions, up 10
percent from a typical day.

``People appeared to be using Instant Messaging (news - web sites) to
reach out to people, to make contacts with friends and family. It was
another communications option,'' said a spokesman for AOL. No figures
were yet available for Wednesday.

Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news), which operates MSN Hotmail and MSN
Messenger services, declined to provide traffic figures, but said it was
continuing work to ensure its lines for e-mail services were open during
the crisis.

CHAT ROOMS SWELL WITH EMOTION

Internet chat rooms also swelled with emotion as conspiracy theorists,
shocked well-wishers and revenge-seekers exchanged impassioned words.

``I really want to be in NYC now either to help or to give blood to
hospitals there,'' said a message from a person named Ishtraki, who
signed off as ``an Egyptian.''

Other messages were far more hostile as popular sentiment among Net
users grew that suspected Saudi terrorist Osama bin Laden (news - web
sites) was behind the coordinated plane hijackings.

``If Osama bin Laden is responsible for these attacks, rest assured that
not only will America be prepared to wipe this despicable excuse for a
human being off the face of the earth,'' wrote a person identified as
``Tom, a Canadian.''

Several organizations also created message boards to help families find
each other during the crisis.

Internet Service provider Prodigy said on Wednesday it created a
National ``I'm Okay'' Message Center to help people find one another at
(http://okay.prodigy.net/).

``This message center is designed so people can post a message sharing
that they are 'Okay' and where they are. Loved ones can go to the site
and search for friends and family they are trying to reach,'' said a
spokesman.

The University of California at Berkeley also created a Web site to help
people trying to locate friends and loved ones in New York and
Washington, D.C. (http://safe.millennium.berkeley.edu), while AOL also
created message boards on its site specifically to speed up
communication in those areas.

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your Web
site for Business" and learn all about serious security. Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/r0k.gC/oT7CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM