[iwar] [fc:Cybersecurity-seriousness-escalates]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-13 18:48:19

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:48:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Cybersecurity-seriousness-escalates]

Cybersecurity seriousness escalates

By Diane Frank, Federal Computer Week, 9/13/2001

A Senate hearing originally scheduled to examine the security of the
critical cyber infrastructure took on extra meaning as Congress and the
nation attempted to respond to Tuesday's terrorist attacks.

"It is important that the Senate continue with America's business,
particularly as it affects America's security," said Sen. Joe Lieberman
(D-Conn.), chairman of the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee.

The hearing was set up to allow the committee to hear the challenges
that remain in government's efforts to secure the critical information
infrastructure, which includes telecommunications and transportation,
under Presidential Decision Directive 63. President Clinton signed the
directive in May 1998 to require agencies to protect both the cyber and
physical infrastructure, and much of the attention has been on the
protection of information systems.

Following the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center towers in New
York City and on the Pentagon, Congress is working to issue a joint
resolution about the "war against international terrorism," Lieberman
said, adding that the work on the cybersecurity elements of PDD-63 are
relevant in that environment.

"If we're serious about commencing a war against terrorism...we have to
understand it's going to be a different kind of war," he said.

Sen. Fred Thompson (R-Tenn.), ranking member on the committee, called
for agencies to use the attacks to put increased attention and resources
into increasing their capabilities under PDD-63.
"We have to change our way of looking at things, we have to become more
serious about the threat to our country," he said.

Sen. Robert Bennett (R-Utah) pointed out that many experts predict that
a cyberattack on the nation's infrastructure would hit systems owned by
the private sector, not the government. According to Bennett, the attack
on the World Trade Center was not an attack on the U.S. military, but it
managed to do much more damage to the nation than the attack on the
Pentagon because it shut down air travel and U.S. financial markets.

The Bush administration is nearly finished with a review of the
coordination across government on critical infrastructure protection
efforts, said Richard Clarke, national coordinator for security,
infrastructure protection and counterterrorism at the National Security
Council, speaking Sept. 11 at a Washington, D.C., conference on
information assurance. The attacks on the World Trade Center occurred
during his speech.

The White House soon will issue an executive order outlining the Bush
administration's strategy, he said.

Secure all your Web servers now: Get your FREE Guide and learn to: DEPLOY THE LATEST ENCRYPTION,
DELIVER TRANSPARENT PROTECTION, and More!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/k0k.gC/nT7CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM