Re: [iwar] one Rational Comment

From: DrewSchaefer@ftnetwork.com
Date: 2001-09-14 08:05:40

To: "iwar@yahoogroups.com" <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: <DrewSchaefer@ftnetwork.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:05:40 -0700
Subject: Re: [iwar] one Rational Comment

Fred,

I do appreciate your savage surfing of the 'net, to find and bring us these often overlooked, and often very incisive commentaries.

I happened, today on my AM bus, to read a portion of Ayn Rand's Journals, that hit what I have not yet said myself.  Sorry to hide behind a more eloquent author:

(NB:  this was one paragraph; I changed the format.  Anyone not familiar with AR, she was a philosopher/intellectual radical Free market person;  any twinge of 'racism' comes from the perspective of not having a deeper look at her writings)

From the Journals of Ayn Rand:
[p.253 of the Plume paperback edition: 1997]

"Man cannot change his nature.

But its realization and fulfillment are up to him.

Being a man is given to him - remaining a man is not.

He is the only creature that can slip beneath his nature.

He is man only so long as he functions in accordance with the nature of
a rational being.

When he chooses to function otherwise, he is no longer man.

There is no name to the thing he then becomes.

It is not an animal - it does not possess the animal's equipment of survival.

It cannot survive, but it has that interval of time at its disposal before the consequences of its choice catch up with it, an interval as a prelude to destruction, a process of disintegration like a slow-rotting disease.

Thus it exists for a while - a thing of corruption and death."

I'm getting a shiver, rereading that.

Sleep well all,

Drew

Drew Schaefer, JD
41 76 549 1907 (Mobile #),
9, ruelle des Galeries
1248 Hermance, Suisse
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty.  He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own." --Thomas Jefferson to Horatio G. Spafford, 1814. ME 14:119

Visit the web site of the Financial Times at  http://www.ft.com

Get VeriSign's FREE GUIDE: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Learn about using SSL for serious online security. Click Here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/LgMkJD/I56CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM