RE: [iwar] Current cyber attack indications

From: Leo, Ross (Ross.Leo@csoconline.com)
Date: 2001-09-14 14:21:42

To: "'iwar@yahoogroups.com'" <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: "Denise Poprock (E-mail)" <dfearn@pond.net>
From: "Leo, Ross" <Ross.Leo@csoconline.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:21:42 -0500
Subject: RE: [iwar] Current cyber attack indications

If I had to guess, I would say that those who might otherwise be occupied
with trashing and attacking systems here (the ones we normally watch over)
have turned their attention outward toward other, more immediate targets:
Muslim and Arab-related targets here and abroad.  This is both good and bad,
as well as being a temporary phenomena ( I suspect).  Eventually they will
tire of such pursuits and return to their normal patterns.  They too are
only human.

On the other hand, the WTC killing (in military vernacular, the buildings
were killed) also killed good and bad people.  We must be mindful that there
are a lot of US resident Arab/Muslim folks (citizens and immigrants) that
are neither responsible nor supportive of what happened,   Some of these
people lost loved ones in the disaster.  A Mosque was burned in Denton, TX
this week.  This was most probably a reaction against a handy target by
enraged and helpless-feeling people looking to vent.  But the people
attending the Mosque were probably not guilty of anything more than being
Muslim and/or Arabic (no crime), and being handy.

If we in our rage seek such innocent targets of opportunity to vent our
anger upon, we become no better than those who destroyed the American
landmark WTC.  The world is filled with innocent people of all races and
nationalities, and they don't all agree with us, which is okay.  Rather,
let's live up to the image we as a nation like others to have of us - of a
nation that protects and defends the innocent against the aggressor and
guilty - instead of becoming like those who would seek our destruction.
Better still, let us become that image in fact.

Having said that, we cannot allow the guilty to escape either.  If that
should happen, then many more innocents will die.  To permit this would be
an even greater miscarriage of the justice we hold so dear (enough to fight
and die for it) than is the WTC murder.

Ross Leo