Re: [iwar] [fc:Canadian.tribute.to.the.United.States]

From: Art Breslau (breslau@watson.ibm.com)
Date: 2001-09-15 15:37:54

To: <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: Art Breslau <breslau@watson.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 18:37:54 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:Canadian.tribute.to.the.United.States]

The original broadcast was made: June 5, 1973 CFRB, Toronto, Ontario

ORIGINAL SCRIPT AND AUDIO COURTESY STANDARD BROADCASTING CORPORATION
LTD.

   (c) 1973 BY GORDON SINCLAIR
        PUBLISHED BY STAR QUALITY MUSIC (SOCAN)
        A DIVISION OF UNIDISC MUSIC INC.
        578 HYMUS BOULEVARD
        POINTE-CLAIRE, QUEBEC,
        CANADA, H9R 4T2

http://www.rcc.ryerson.ca/ccf/news/unique/am_text.html

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Thus spoke Fred Cohen :

> TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES (from a Canadian newspaper)
>
> Widespread but only partial news coverage was given recently to a
> remarkable editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a
> Canadian television commentator.  What follows is the full text of his
> trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional Record: "This Canadian
> thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and
> possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth.
>
> Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted
> out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of
> dollars and forgave other billions in debts.  None of these countries is
> today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United
> States.
>
> When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans
> who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on
> the streets of Paris.  I was there.  I saw it.
>
> When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that
> hurries in to help.  This spring, 59 American communities were flattened
> by tornadoes.  Nobody helped.
>
> The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into
> discouraged countries.  Now newspapers in those countries are writing
> about the decadent, warmongering Americans.
>
> I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the
> erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane.  Does any
> other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet,
> the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't they fly
> them? Why do all the International lines except Russia fly American
> Planes?
>
> Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on
> the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios.  You
> talk about German technocracy, and you get automobiles.  You talk about
> American technocracy, and you find men on the moon - not once, but
> several times and safely home again.
>
> You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store
> window for everybody to look at.  Even their draft-dodgers are not
> pursued and hounded.  They are here on our streets, and most of them,
> unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars
> from ma and pa at home to spend here.
>
> When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down
> through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them.  When the
> Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned
> them an old caboose.  Both are still broke.
>
> I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other
> people in trouble.  Can you name me even one time when someone else
> raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help
> even during the San Francisco earthquake.
>
> Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned
> [...]

Get VeriSign's FREE GUIDE: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Learn about using SSL for serious online security. Click Here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/LgMkJD/I56CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM