[iwar] Perceptions

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-17 07:06:23

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 07:06:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] Perceptions

I have recetly observed an interesting phenomena in the US media.  They
are trying hard to declare George W.  Bush as some set of things that
they seem to think will bolster his public and international standing.
One report calls him 'down to business' while another asserts that he
found his voice between Tuesday when he couldn't reassure the public and
Friday when he read a speech at the National Cathedral.  Here are some
of the quotes the US media is pulling out and hailing as leadership:

	Bush ordered the pilots "to do whatever was necessary with
	planes that refused to respond to commands to divert [from] the
	city,"

	"Make no mistake," Bush said, stabbing his finger into the table.
	"Understand my resolve, and all of your people need to understand
	this." [To his own advisors in their first 'war room' meeting after
	the bombing]

	"The people who knocked down these buildings," he said, "are
	going to hear all of us soon."

	"When I take action," he said, "I'm not going to fire a $2
	million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt.
	It's going to be decisive."

In the meanwhile, the international media and the international
leadership does not seem to see the same things.  Here are some
examples:

	PARIS The calls for war that have come from Washington since
	Tuesday's catastrophes - for "war" against terrorism, against
	evil, against enemies of civilization - answer the psychological
	demands of the hour, the leaders' need to seem to lead.  But
	they are wrong.  Without tangible content, they fall short.
	They cannot satisfy.  They risk actions that will make things
	worse, blows that hit people who had nothing to do with these
	attacks, thus adding to the numbers of those who hate the United
	States and are willing to die to do it harm.
	[Washington's Call for War Plays Into Terrorist Hands William Pfaff,
	International Herald Tribune, September 17, 2001]

	"The evil must be punished but we should not liken ourselves to
	bandits who strike from behind," he said.  "We must weigh up our
	decisions and make them on the basis of proven facts." [Putin quote
	in London Daily Telegraph, September 17, 2001 "Russia's Troops
	Are Put On Alert"]

	However, Ms Clark said New Zealand was no longer bound by the
	treaty and that the US should feel under no obligation to defend
	New Zealand in future.  "No, it (America) would have no
	obligation.  For the past 15 years it (Anzus) has ceased to
	exist as far as New Zealand is concerned," she said. [NZ PM]

The list goes on and on.  It appears that the US media is trying to
build up the President while much of the rest of the world is hunkering
down.  The international negotiations seem to be more about the threat
that the US will hold those who harbor terrorists responsible by
dropping bombs than anything else.  Pakistan sent a delegation to
Afghanastan to ask for bin Laden and his top aides to be handed over so
that they would not have to face the choice of being bombed by the US ob
by the militants.

Meanwhile in the US, top government officials have not spoken out
against internal violence against Muslums.  If Mr.  Bush doesn't do
something about this issue he will not even be able to sustain his
support in the US.  He was rated very highly in the days after the
attacks, 86% approval - but that's just patriotic support and closing of
ranks.  He is already in the low 70s and dropping rapidly.

But his rating is not dropping as rapidly as the value of US stocks -
which are down almost 500 points (NYSE) after only a few hours of
trading.  Of course bin Laden and the various supporting organizations
already moved their money into other markets, which means that the US is
also losing an economic war.

And I am an optimist...

FC
--This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to serve--
Fred Cohen		Fred Cohen & Associates.........tel/fax:925-454-0171
fc@all.net		The University of New Haven.....http://www.unhca.com/
http://all.net/		Sandia National Laboratories....tel:925-294-2087

Secure all your Web servers now: Get your FREE Guide and learn to: DEPLOY THE LATEST ENCRYPTION,
DELIVER TRANSPARENT PROTECTION, and More!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/k0k.gC/nT7CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM