[iwar] [fc:Hijackers.May.Have.Accessed.Computers.At.Public.Libraries]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-17 07:13:39

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 07:13:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Hijackers.May.Have.Accessed.Computers.At.Public.Libraries]

Hijackers May Have Accessed Computers At Public Libraries
By Sue Anne Pressley and Justin Blum, Washington Post, 9/17/2001

Investigators are looking into the possibility some of the suspected
hijackers in last week's deadly attacks on Washington and New York may
have communicated with each other by using computers at public
libraries.
At least one South Florida librarian has told authorities she recognized
the name of a suspected terrorist on one of her computer sign-in sheets
after the FBI released the list of hijackers' names Friday.
Library officials in Fairfax County also said today FBI agents Thursday
requested the computer lab sign-in lists from the Sherwood Regional
Library in the Mount Vernon area. Agents picked up copies of the
computer logs from July 1 to Sept. 13, which included approximately 50
pages, according to branch manager Liz Promen.
In Delray Beach, Fla., librarian Kathleen Hensman said Mohald Alshehri,
who is listed as a hijacker, and another Middle Eastern man came into
the library within the past month wanting to use a computer with
Internet access. She said the men appeared to be on edge and watched her
to see whether she was monitoring their use.
"It just stood out in my mind, their behavior and the name," said
Hensman, 41, who heads the reference department. "It's a public facility
-- what can we do? I feel saddened that we were part of this in a way."
Public library officials say the use of computers with Internet access,
which affords clients the option of logging into chat rooms and
exchanging private messages, is a controversial issue in the library
industry, and that policies on patron use and the amount of privacy
allowed differ from place to place. In Fairfax County, Va., after
marking lab sign-in lists, patrons can work at a computer without
logging on.
The Delray Beach library is near where several of the suspects
reportedly stayed in the weeks leading up to the attacks. Hensman said
it was Alshehri who affixed his name to the computer-use sign-up sheet.
"I asked them, 'Do you need an Internet computer?' One said yes,"
Hensman recalled.
She said the two men sat down at one of the computers with a screen
shielded by a privacy protector.
"They were looking up at me and down at the computer," she said. "They
wanted to be aware of what I was doing."
The two men used the computer for an hour, then were joined by a third
man. She described the three as in their twenties, Middle Eastern and
"good-looking."
Hensman said she called local police Saturday, and they said they would
pass on the information to the FBI. As of late this afternoon, however,
she said FBI agents had not contacted the library.
The Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale reported today that visitors to two
other libraries in Hollywood, Fla., said they recalled seeing Mohamed
Atta there. Authorities have identified Atta as one of the pilots who
crashed into the World Trade Center Tuesday and have said he and several
other suspects lived in the Hollywood area.
Betty Dejean, the assistant director of the Broward County libraries
division, said today neither the FBI nor local law enforcement agencies
had contacted library officials to ask about the hijackers' use of the
computers. However, she said she could not release any information
without a court order, citing Florida statutes.
Dejean said she had sent out a memo to staff members at the 37 Broward
County branches, which include three in Hollywood, reminding employees
they are not allowed to comment on books checked out by clients or on
client computer use.
In Fairfax County, library officials said today none of the five men
suspected in the Dulles hijacking possessed a library card. The
suspects' names also do not appear on the logs, which library officials
provided to The Washington Post, on the three days leading up to the
attacks.
In Norman, Okla., where an alleged associate of the hijackers lived
until he was arrested in August on a passport violation, public library
official Andrew Peters said he had heard of no investigation involving
the use of his system's computers. But he said Internet use is "a hot
topic" in libraries.
"Some libraries do have it as policy that they allow privacy," said
Peters, head of technology for the Pioneer library system, which
comprises nine branches in three Oklahoma counties. "In our particular
case, our policy is that use of libraries is a public space -- in the
same way that we don't allow people to remove their clothes in public,
we have our computers out visible, where anybody can see."
Fairfax library officials said the county has not installed filters that
prevent people from viewing pornographic Web sites or accessing chat
rooms.
"If we observe someone in a chat room, we tell them to stop," Promen
said.
But she added that library volunteers who staff the computer room cannot
see everything everyone is doing. "We do try to put our computers in
fairly public places," she said. "We hope that that suffices."
Staff writer Michael D. Shear contributed to this report.

Do you need to encrypt all your online transactions? Secure corporate intranets? Authenticate your Web sites? Whatever
security your site needs, you'll find the perfect solution here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wOMkGD/Q56CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM