[iwar] [fc:Memo.(op.ed?).from.Osama.in.the.NY.Times]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-17 07:26:20

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 07:26:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Memo.(op.ed?).from.Osama.in.the.NY.Times]

June 26, 2001

FOREIGN AFFAIRS

A Memo From Osama

By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN

emo From: Osama bin Laden

To: all field operatives

My men: This is a great day! Did you see what we accomplished last week? We
drove the U.S. armed forces out of three Arab countries by just threatening
to hit them. I had some of our boys discuss an attack against the U.S. over
cell phones, the C.I.A. picked it up, and look what happened: The F.B.I.
team in Yemen, which was investigating our destruction of the U.S.S. Cole in
Aden harbor, just packed up and left ‹ even though the State Department was
begging them to stay. See ya. Then, after we made a few more phone calls,
hundreds of U.S. marines ‹ marines! ‹ who were conducting a joint exercise
with the Jordanian Army cut short their operation, got back on their
amphibious vessels and fled Jordan on Saturday. See ya. Then all the U.S.
warships in Bahrain, which is the headquarters of the U.S. Fifth Fleet, were
so scared of being hit by us they evacuated Bahrain's harbor and sailed out
into the Persian Gulf. Boys, there is a military term for all this; it's
called a "retreat." Allahu Akbar! God is Great!

This is a superpower? The Americans turned tail as soon as they picked up a
few threats from us. The U.S. press barely reported it; the White House
press didn't even ask the president about it. But trust me, everyone out
here noticed it. It told them many things: The Americans are afraid of
sustaining even one casualty to their soldiers, they don't trust their own
intelligence or weak Arab allies to protect them, and they have no military
answer for our threat.

I love America. The Bush people want to spend $100 billion on a missile
defense shield to deal with a threat that doesn't yet exist, and they run
away from the threat that already exists. They think we rogues are going to
attack them with an intercontinental ballistic missile with a return address
on it. Are they kidding? Am I wearing a sign that says STUPID on it? We'll
hit them the way the Iranians blew up the U.S. base at Khobar, in Saudi
Arabia. We'll use layers of local operatives, who can't be traced to any
country. Look at the indictment the U.S. courts just passed down for the
Khobar bombing. They named 14 people, and they hinted that Iranian agents
had coordinated them all, but they had no proof, so they could never pin it
on Iran, so they could never retaliate against Iran.

The people who had the proof were the Saudis, but they refused to turn it
over to the F.B.I. Why? Because the Saudis never trusted the Americans to
retaliate properly. They figured the U.S. would launch a few cruise missiles
at Iran and then run ‹ leaving the Saudis to face Iran alone. Which reminds
me, the Russians have hinted that if the U.S. builds a missile defense
system against Russia's wishes, the Russians will just sell more missiles to
Iraq, Iran or China to overwhelm the system. The fools at the Bush Pentagon
say the Russians would never do that because the missiles would also
threaten them. Oh yeah? The Russians don't believe in missile shields. They
believe in classic deterrence. When the Chechens blew up a few apartment
blocks in Moscow with human missiles, the Russians blew up Chechnya.
Remember when four Russian diplomats were kidnapped in Beirut in 1985? The
Russians retaliated by kidnapping a member of the kidnappers' group, chopped
off one of his body parts and sent it back in the mail. Presto! The Russians
were released. This isn't Norway out here.

That's why we'd never mess with the Russians. But the great thing is that
Donald Rumsfeld is so obsessed with getting his missile-shield toy, he's
been telling everyone that deterrence doesn't work anymore against people
like us. So they need a missile shield instead. And Bush just repeats it. I
love it, because we are not going to attack America's strength at home, we
are going to attack soft U.S. targets abroad through shadows. So I hope the
Americans invest all their defense budget in a Star Wars shield that will
have no effect on us, but will divert them from the real means and the real
deterrence that could hurt us.

Yo, Rummy, who needs missiles? We just drove the F.B.I., the Marines and the
U.S. Navy out of the Middle East with a few threats whispered over Nokia
cell phones! So who's the dummy, Rummy?

God is Great. America is stupid. Revolution until victory.

Osama@Jihadonline [JOL]

Get VeriSign's FREE GUIDE: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Learn about using SSL for serious online security. Click Here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/LgMkJD/I56CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM