[iwar] [fc:Attacks.Spur.Canada.Web.Concern]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-17 13:43:55

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 13:43:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Attacks.Spur.Canada.Web.Concern]

Attacks Spur Canada Web Concern
By Charles Mandel

2:00 a.m. Sep. 15, 2001 PDT

TORONTO, Canada -- The Jewish group B'nai Brith Canada is calling for
stricter regulation of hate-related material on the Internet following
Tuesday's terrorist attacks in New York and Washington.

The executive vice president of B'nai Brith Canada, Frank Dimant,
alerted the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and the Canadian
Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) in late August about a posting on a
website that originated out of Montreal and invited people to join
Afghani terrorist camps linked to Osama bin Laden, according to B'nai
Brith Canada.

Now, especially after media reports have suggested that Montreal and
Halifax may have been meeting points for a number of the terrorists
involved in the attack, B'nai Brith Canada is stepping up its efforts to
get legislation passed to ban such Web activity.

"It was a timely alert, wasn't it," said Dimant on Friday, although he
stopped short of making a definitive link between the Web posting on
islamway.com and Tuesday's attacks.  "It's too early and too difficult
for us to say that."

Spokespeople from the RCMP and the CSIS declined to comment, saying they
would not speak about investigations in process.

However, last year the CSIS issued a report in which it warned that
"computers, modems and the Internet are enhancing the operational
capabilities of terrorist organizations."

The report cautioned, "Terrorists have improved their use of advanced
technologies to protect and expedite lines of communication and funding,
both nationally and internationally; this has increased the chances that
planning for the next terrorist attack may not be detected."

The posting titled "An invitation to Jihad" on islamway.com's message
board told Web surfers "the mujahid brothers will welcome you with open
arms and within a period of two weeks you will be given commando
training and sent to the front line."

Dimant said: "I think post-World Trade Center, there will be a much
greater effort now to monitor effectively the Internet, so that these
kinds of things will no longer be allowed.  We have cautioned for many
years (about) the kind of hate dissemination that has taken place on the
Internet."

No one answered the phones at islamway.com's offices in Montreal or Ann
Arbor, Michigan.  But a notice on the website said the posting was one
of over 28,000 on its discussion boards, with more than 34,000 visitors
daily and over 4,000 active members.

"Islamway is in no way responsible for the content of postings by
private individuals, any more than CNN.com or Yahoo are responsible for
the postings found on the discussion boards on their sites," the notice
said.

Dimant said that in "in light of the World Trade Center, they would
certainly reflect differently today with a frivolous remark that it was
just like a Yahoo posting.

"Recruiting for training with the mujahid, the suicide bombers, is
almost what happened in the United States.  I don't think it should be
treated with any sense of levity."

A message at the Islamic Assembly of North America's website, the
governing organization of islamway.com, expressed concern that the
September 11 acts would lead to further persecution of Muslims.

"Now we fear that our Muslim communities in the U.S.  might experience
harassment that could exceed what happened during the Oklahoma (bombing)
incident."

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4mr93B/zhwCAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM