[iwar] [fc:Chinese.counterterrorism.experts.will.meet.U.S..officials.Tuesday.to.share.intelligence]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-22 12:43:48

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 12:43:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Chinese.counterterrorism.experts.will.meet.U.S..officials.Tuesday.to.share.intelligence]

By Steven Mufson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, September 22, 2001; Page A30

Chinese counterterrorism experts will meet U.S.  officials Tuesday to
share intelligence that might help the Bush administration's war on
terrorism, Chinese Foreign Minister Tang Jiaxuan said yesterday.  But
Tang cautioned that the anti-terrorism campaign should "respect the
United Nations charter and norms of international law."

In a 20-minute meeting with President Bush and an earlier two-hour
meeting with Secretary of State Colin L.  Powell, Tang pledged China's
support for battling terrorism.  In an interview later, he said that
"China is also a victim of terrorist attacks," a reference to unrest in
China's western regions of Tibet and Xinjiang.

The issue of U.S.-China military cooperation to combat terrorists did
not come up, Powell and Tang said.

"I made the point to the foreign minister that we would be looking at a
complete campaign that would involve going after finances, information,
intelligence, law enforcement, and might have a military component,"
Powell told reporters.  "But we did not get into any details of a
military component, nor did I ask the Chinese government what their
reaction might be, nor did they suggest to me any participation."

In the interview, Tang declined to speculate on China's reaction to any
U.S.  attacks against suspected terrorists.  "I cannot make
characterizations in an abstract way," he said.

Bush and Powell tried to solidify China's general support by reaffirming
Bush's intention to attend the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC)
meeting in Shanghai next month and then to travel to Beijing for a
summit with Chinese President Jiang Zemin.

Much of the meeting with Powell was devoted to preparing for the Bush
trip, including discussion of nonproliferation, human rights and missile
defense.  Tang said later that Taiwan remained the "most important and
outstanding issue in U.S.-China relations."

Terrorism was a key part of the talks, however.  "We firmly oppose and
strongly condemn all forms of terrorism in all their evil acts, and both
sides agree to carry out even better cooperation on this question in the
future," Tang told reporters.

Powell said China could help fight terrorism in Central Asia because "it
has influence in that region.  It has knowledge and information.  It has
intelligence that might be of help to us."

The U.S.  effort to target accused terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden
and the Taliban militia in Afghanistan that has supported him puts China
in an awkward diplomatic position.  China has maintained close relations
with Pakistan, a past supporter of the Taliban.  But it is also
concerned about violence from its own Muslim population, especially from
restive Uighur nationalists living in the westernmost Xinjiang region.
A small part of that region borders on Afghanistan, and Chinese and
American sources have said that some Uighurs have fought alongside the
Taliban.

Although a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman made comments earlier in
the week suggesting that China would expect a war on terrorism to
include China's fight against what he called "separatists" from Taiwan,
Tibet and Xinjiang, Tang said yesterday that China would not link its
help to the United States with those issues or any other.

Powell told reporters: "There was no suggestion of a quid pro quo.  In
fact, both sides recognize that this [terrorism] is a threat to both
countries."

© 2001 The Washington Post Company

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/XrFcOC/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM