[iwar] [fc:SAS.troopers.already.in.Afghanistan.-.papers]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-22 20:40:27

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 20:40:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:SAS.troopers.already.in.Afghanistan.-.papers]

SAS troopers already in Afghanistan - papers

23/09/01 00:34

LONDON (Reuters) - The Defence Ministry has played down widespread
reports in the press that the country's crack special forces are already
inside Afghanistan.  Many Sunday papers carried reports that troops from
the Special Air Service (SAS) regiment were already in northern
Afghanistan working with Afghan opposition forces.

"We never discuss special forces or operational matters," a spokesman
told Reuters.  "We are currently in our planning phase to decide what
help we can offer to the Americans."

Downing Street also added a cautionary note to suggestions that British
intelligence had tracked down Osama bin Laden, the Saudi-born dissident
named by U.S.  President George Bush as the prime suspect wanted for the
attacks on America.

"To the best of our knowledge he (Osama bin Laden) is still in
Afghanistan but his movements are such that he's quite an elusive
character," a spokesman told Reuters.  "This isn't about an individual,
it's about an organisation and a network.  It's about ruthlessly hunting
them down."

There were also reports on Saturday evening of unusually heavy volumes
of air traffic.  The Defence Ministry said however there were no special
movements of troops or equipment under way.

"We have a lot of air assets in that theatre already," a spokesman said.
"There will certainly be more going there in the next couple of days."

The Mail on Sunday said a reconnaissance squad of four SAS soldiers had
been involved in a gun battle with Taliban fighters in the Kabul area on
Friday evening after arriving in the country five days earlier.

The paper said British troops had already linked up with forces of the
military wing of Afghanistan's opposition Northern Alliance.

The Sunday Times also said SAS troopers were in northern Afghanistan
working together with the secret intelligence service MI6 and with the
U.S.  Central Intelligence Agency to track down bin Laden.

The Sunday Express said the SAS had deployed troops to Sudan, Libya and
Iraq as well as in Afghanistan where the papers said they were looking
for factories making chemical, biological or nuclear weapons.

The SAS has been deployed in operations in Northern Ireland, the Balkans
and during the Gulf War 10 years ago when it was credited with having
undertaken sabotage missions behind Iraqi lines.

Troops have to serve in other sections of the army before they can apply
to join the elite unit.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/XrFcOC/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM