[iwar] [fc:U.S..to.unveil.evidence.against.bin.Laden.-.Powell]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-23 16:16:01

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 16:16:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:U.S..to.unveil.evidence.against.bin.Laden.-.Powell]

Sunday September 23, 06:48 PM

U.S. to unveil evidence against bin Laden - Powell

By Jonathan Wright

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will soon release evidence
linking Saudi-born militant Osama bin Laden to the attacks on New York
and Washington, Secretary of State Colin Powell has said.

Powell also predicted on Sunday that the government in Pakistan, a key
ally in the U.S.  campaign against bin Laden, would survive domestic
challenges from militant Islamists.

In answer to reports that bin Laden was missing, Powell said the United
States would not have won until it caught every one of the thousands of
members of his group.

Powell's task in the campaign is to mobilise international support for
the United States and convince Muslim countries that Muslims are not the
target of U.S.  revenge.

The governments of most Muslim countries have said they oppose terrorism
but want to see the evidence that bin Laden was behind the attacks on
Sept.  11.

Powell told the NBC's "Meet the Press" program, "We are hard at work
bringing all the information together -- intelligence information, law
enforcement information."

"I think in the near future, we will be able to put out a paper, a
document, that will describe quite clearly the evidence that we have
linking him to this attack," he added.

Other U.S.  officials have been evasive on whether the United States
will release detailed evidence against bin Laden.

NEED TO BE CAREFUL

National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, asked the same question on
"Fox News Sunday," said: "The United States is going to do nothing that
jeopardises the investigation that is ongoing here.  We are drawing in
investigative services, law enforcement, intelligence from a lot of
countries, and so we need to be careful with how we use this
information."

Asked if she meant the United States intended to keep any evidence
secret to protect its sources and methods, she said: "Of course we're
going to be laying out a case and making a case.  We're going to be
making a case to allies and friends, many of whom, by the way, are
already involved in developing that case.  We will be making a case to
the American people."

On Pakistan, Powell said the United States was sensitive to popular
opposition in the Islamic world to any U.S.  attacks on Afghanistan,
where bin Laden is thought to be hiding.

Religious parties held a second day of protests in Pakistan on Saturday,
but opposition to Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf's pledge to help
the United States track down bin Laden appeared to be waning.

Powell said, "Everything I have seen over the last two weeks convinces
me that President Musharraf made a courageous decision and he did it
with the full awareness of the potential domestic consequences."

"He is supported by all of his military commanders and all of those in
the government, so I am confident that Pakistan will remain stable, and
I have no concerns about their nuclear program," he added.

TALIBAN SAY HE IS MISSING

The United States is moving military forces toward the Middle East and
South Asia in preparation for military aspects of its campaign, which
could include the use of ground forces to capture bin Laden and members
of his al Qaeda organization.

But the Taliban, who rule most of Afghanistan, said on Sunday that bin
Laden had disappeared and they could not deliver on an edict asking him
to leave the country.

Powell said the Taliban might simply be seeking a way out of a difficult
predicament.  He added:

"Even if we were to get Osama bin Laden tomorrow ...  that would be
good, but it would not be the end.  It's his lieutenants we have to get.
It's the whole network that has to be ripped up.

"We're talking several thousand, maybe many thousands, we're not
entirely sure.  ...  You can find connections to them all around, and we
have to get them all."

As part of his efforts to secure an international alliance, Powell has
tried to strengthen a tentative Israeli-Palestinian truce.

He called Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon on Sunday morning about
Sharon's decision to block a meeting between Foreign Minister Shimon
Peres and Palestinian President Yasser Arafat on Monday because of some
violence overnight.

He told reporters later that Sharon was committed to rescheduling the
truce talks with the Palestinians and Washington hoped that would happen
soon.

"He is still committed to those talks, and I hope that they will take
place in the near future," Powell said.

"It's important now for both sides to do everything they can to create
an environment conducive to those talks by getting the violence down,"
he said.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/XrFcOC/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM