Re: [iwar] - a bit of clarification on the 'facts'

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-24 19:52:31

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 19:52:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] - a bit of clarification on the 'facts'

[FC - When I posted it I knew it was propaganda - but I didn't figure it
would generate a response - so here is my take on what Tony noticed.]

Per the message sent by Tony Bartoletti:
> >                           Pin the tail...!
> >                         By Tariq A.Al-Maeena,
> >                     Asharq Al Wasat, Sept. 22, 01
> >spokesman at the BBC has confirmed use of this old footage by CNN.  They
> >have copies of such material in their film vaults.

> This should be solidly verifiable.  If true, those responsible should spend
> a very long time in prison.

It may be true (I don't know) that the footage was from a historical
even, but in fact there were some Palestinain celebrations on the
streets and reporters were threatenned if they continued to report on
them.  Whether the specific depictions were true is another issue.

> >Then there is the mystery of the 'no-shows'; those employees who failed
> >to show up for work on the day of the bombings.  We are talking about

Please.  9AM is early for many in the NY financial district.  On any
given day, in a building with 50,000 employees, you will have something
like 500 people not present because of illness or holidays.  Add in
traffic jams, accidents, etc.  and you will find 10% of folks who work
there are not in promptly at 9AM - that would be some 5,000 per tower.

> >thousands here.  And believe me, they are not as tardy as we are in this
> >part of the world when it comes to attendance and punctuality.  Did this
> >not cross anyone's minds? And what about the reports on the 5 Israelis
> >atop a high tower who were filming the events as they unfolded, hooting
> >and hollering? All we know is that they were eventually deported.  How
> >convenient!

This is, as far as I can tell, purely rumor.  Perception management at
its height.

> The no-shows should be verifiable, to some degree, although most who take
> jobs in the WTC do not punch a timeclock.  I happened to be surprised
> myself that casualties did not reach well into 5 figures.  I wonder what
> the FEMA estimates for evacuation of the WTC would indicate,
> hypothetically, for such an attack.

As far as I can tell, the reason my initial estimates were high had two
causes.  I failed to take into account the effect of the first plane on
the second building's population and, the first plany hit pretty high up
on the tower.

From what I can tell, nobody above the floors where the planes hit at
the time they hit survived.  In the first tower, the hit was so high
that only a few thousand people were above it.  In the second tower the
hit was lower but the people had already evacuated.  Thus 5,000+ people
dies in the first tower and a few thousand died after that by not
getting out in time, seeking to help others, etc.  If the planes would
have hit together and closer to the ground it would have been a very
different story.

> >All four Black Boxes were supposedly destroyed and rendered unusable.
> >This in spite of the fact that they are designed specifically for plane
> >crashes which result in insurmountable conditions...Yet one of the
> >hijackers' passport supposedly survives fire and heat of over 1000
> >degrees Fahrenheit and is found in perfect shape? CNN reported that one
> >of the hijackers' passport was in the area 'around' the World Trade
> >Center.  What kind of idiots do they take us for?

> First, I have heard no reports that the boxes have been found yet in the
> rubble, no less destroyed or useless.

At least three were found - the ones from PA were found and at least one
was partially usable.  One from the pentagon was found but was not
usable.  They ar enot designed for high temperatures for long periods,
at least not the time frames of sitting in burning jet fuel for 20
minutes or so.  It's just beyond their rating.  Normally, crashes do not
result in the concentration of heat over time like this.

> The "passport" question is better, but when the plane went into the
> building, parts of the forward compartment (flight cabin) likely were blown
> clear through the building and burst out the far side, possibly escaping
> the fire-ball produced when the wings dumped their fuel load.  I imagine
> various body parts we scattered from the initial impact that escaped
> destruction in the inferno, and that would most likely include the pilots.

You got it Tony.  Come parts come out whole, while others get made into
littly tiny chunks.  It's just how things go.  If nothing were found
people would be asking how it was possible that absolutely nothing came
out whole when something survives almost any crash.

> >And probably the greatest contradiction in this whole scenario is the
> >FBI report that two of the Arabic hijackers were involved in a bar
> >altercation in Florida some time before the bombings.  This was over the
> >price of drinks.  Now I've come across some fanatics, and let me assure
> >you that not one of them would be preparing to meet his Maker in a state
> >of inebriation, or with alcohol coursing through his veins.  Makes the
> >whole concept of jihad meaningless if you ask me.  Or was it simply to
> >draw attention to their presence, another red herring if you will?

> Hard to say, but it does sound "unlike" behaviors I would have expected.

People are not perfect.  These things happen all the time.  I often hear
defense attorney arguments like this, but they are usually just plain
ridiculous.  The cat is, people are not perfect and they do all sorts of
things to screw up - that goes for the FBI and the terrorists and all
of us.

> >Yes, something is not right here.  And consider this...it was only

Conspiracy theories here we come.

According to the 60 minutes interviews with leading Arab journalists
last night, while they wish it were not arabs that did these things and
they wish it were the Mosad or someone else, the evidence points to
arabs and no evidence points toward the Mosad.

FC
--This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to serve--
Fred Cohen		Fred Cohen & Associates.........tel/fax:925-454-0171
fc@all.net		The University of New Haven.....http://www.unhca.com/
http://all.net/		Sandia National Laboratories....tel:925-294-2087

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JNm9_D/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM