[iwar] [fc:Rumsfeld:.Pentagon.Won't.Lie]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-25 21:22:50

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:22:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Rumsfeld:.Pentagon.Won't.Lie]

Rumsfeld: Pentagon Won't Lie

By Pauline Jelinek
Associated Press Writer
Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2001; 3:27 p.m. EDT

WASHINGTON ญญ Secretary of Defense Donald H.  Rumsfeld promised Tuesday
his department will not mislead the press as part of the campaign
against terrorism and said there are other ways to protect sensitive
information.

"I am 69 years old, and I don't believe it's ever happened that I have
lied to the press, and I don't intend to start now," he said.

At a Pentagon news conference, Rumsfeld was asked whether he could
guarantee there would be no policy of giving out false information.

"You can be certain there is no campaign targeted at the news media," he
said.

Pentagon officials have been unusually secretive in the last week as the
Bush administration prepares for what it has said will be a long war
against terrorism, which will be unlike other was the country has known
and will be fought on many fronts.

Among other things, officials have refused to give many details on the
military buildup under way in the Persian Gulf, which nations have
joined the coalition or even what countries might be targeted.

Rumsfeld said the government is giving "a great deal of thought to
handling the public affairs" surrounding the anti-terrorism campaign and
held a meeting on the subject Monday.

He was asked circumstances in which Defense Department officials "will
be authorized to lie to the news media" in order to increase chances of
success of a military operation or gain some other advantage over
adversaries.

"I cannot imagine a situation," he said.  "I don't recall that I've ever
lied to the press.  I don't intend to.  ...  There are dozens of ways to
avoid having to put yourself in a position where you're lying."

Rumsfeld recalled that during World War II, allies planted false
information about the planned time and location of the Normandy
invasion.

Rumsfeld said U.S.  military officials will refuse to comment on
anything that will endanger troops or operations.

"And anyone that does talk to any of you about that is breaking federal
criminal law and should be in jail," Rumsfeld said.

"Responsible people won't do it," Rumsfeld said.  "People that know
anything won't do it.  But that's a very different thing from coming out
and actively telling a lie."

"I suppose you never say never," he said.  "But all I can say is I
cannot imagine a situation where we would be so unskillful that we would
be in a position that we would have to do that to protect lives."

ญญญ

On the Net: Pentagon media guide: <a
href="http://www.defenselink.mil/pubs/almanac/asdpa.html">http://www.defenselink.mil/pubs/almanac/asdpa.html>

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/XrFcOC/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM