[iwar] Comments on the Dartmouth Security Study

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-27 07:02:46

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 07:02:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] Comments on the Dartmouth Security Study

Some comments on the study cc'd to this list yesterday...  based only on
an initial overview.

> Executive summary:

Executive comments:

> CRITICAL CYBER SECURITY  MEASURES DURING THE WAR ON TERRORISM:
>
> 1.  Raise and maintain a heightened level of cyber alert and logging
> levels in times of acute crisis (Page 19)

Increased logging takes increased resources - time and space.  During
time of heavy attack, there is substantially more traffic and there are
substantially more events to log.  This means that you are taking a
double hit on resources that are already inadequate to the task.  In
addition, the heightenned awareness level causes many more 'fales
positives' as users report things that are not important or become
afraid of the slightest things.  This again strains support
infrastructure.  Considering the current economic situaiton, increased
cost and decreased worker productivity is probably not the best
combination for success.  Perhaps a better approach would be to avoid
such crises by reviewing design and implementaiton and preparing
reasonable disaster and other event response plans.

> 2.  Report of suspicious activity to law enforcement immediately to
> facilitate the warning and investigative processes (Page 19)

As in (1) above, this is likely to further overburden law enforcement
and create an inability to differentiate or respond to the most
important events.  In addition, it can be used for reflexive control
against law enforcement.  Perhaps a better approach would be for law
enforcement to identify the most critical things to lok for (over time)
and generate reports on those events while providing a lower priority
level of reporting for other events and letting those who run systems
(and criminals) know that most crimes will go uninvestigated because of
the strain on resources.

> 3.  Apply and follow standard 'best practices' for computer and physical
> security; apply regular software updates, and install worm protection,
> intrusion detection systems and firewalls (Page 19)

Unfortunately, there are no 'best practices' that can be reasonably
applied across the board, and 'best practices' that do exist tend to be
'most expensive' practices in many cases and require 'best expertise' to
do well.  Since resources are constrained, we need a better risk
management approach (risk management is of course part of 'best
practices')

> 4.  Secure critical information assets by implementing recommended
> measures against known exploits and back up all vital systems and
> information (Page 20)

If this is not already being done, it is an outrage - and of course it
is not being done everywhere and it is outrageous.

> 5.  Utilize ingress and egress filtering to protect against Distributed
> Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks (Page 20)

Common filtering of this sort will not stop current DDoS.  There are,
however, products that can do this far better and they should be
applied.

In addition, these are hardly the most important things to consider
doing at this point and they are extremely non-specific.

More later...

FC
--This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to serve--
Fred Cohen		Fred Cohen & Associates.........tel/fax:925-454-0171
fc@all.net		The University of New Haven.....http://www.unhca.com/
http://all.net/		Sandia National Laboratories....tel:925-294-2087

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM