[iwar] [fc:MS.moves.to.head.off.Linux.desktop.'threat']

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-27 15:24:32

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:24:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:MS.moves.to.head.off.Linux.desktop.'threat']

MS moves to head off Linux desktop 'threat'
By John Lettice, The Register, 9/27/2001

Is Linux ready for the desktop? Microsoft seems to think so, if a
company channel partner email leaked to The Register is anything to go
by.  The email, which we believe to be genuine, is labelled for the
attention of Microsoft Certified Partners, and takes the form of a call
to action aimed at intercepting major customers "seriously evaluating,
piloting or deploying production Linux desktops." The email apparently
came from the recipient's usual Microsoft Channel Partner Manager, and
was addressed to the company's usual contact, so it seems unlikely to be
a fake.  Nor, although some of the language is robust, does it go wildly
over the top in the way fakes so frequently do.

The Microsoft manager is asking for information on customers planning to
deploy Linux desktops, and requesting that the partner "complete the
attached template [which we do not have, unfortunately] and send it to
me." The manager is particularly interested in identifying vipers in the
bosom of the Beast: "If you are the one promoting Linux to your
customer, we should talk.  I really want to understand why this is being
pushed as opposed to Microsoft.  If a customer is asking you, I
understand the need to get the customer what they request [that's nice,
if somewhat unconvincing], however if you are leading with it, I really
want your honest feedback."

If any qualified Microsoft channel partner has received a similar email,
and has already submitted their honest feedback, The Register would be
pretty interested in seeing it too.

To some extent classic Redmond paranoia may be driving this particular
campaign; the email author certainly seems far more convinced that Linux
is a threat to Microsoft on the desktop than most of the rest of the
world is.  We know Microsoft's trial team claims it's a major threat,
but we don't believe they really believe that; this person, however,
sounds convinced.

"As you know, Linux is not only a threat to Microsoft's server business
- it is increasingly becoming a threat to the desktop in a number of key
areas.  In roundtables you told us that Linux was coming, customers were
asking for it, we believe you! We need to better understand where and
why we are combating Linux on the desktop, and how we can improve our
products and services to make sure we retain satisfied Microsoft
customers.  The only way we can understand it, is to hear from you or
directly from your customers."

Now, here come those key areas we just touched on: "Large Organizations,
Medium Organizations, Small Organizations, OEM, Home/Consumer,
Education, and Government." Redmond paranoia again - isn't that
everybody? Microsoft wants information on why these customers are
considering Linux, and in the shorter term "will assist in pulling
together resources to battle Linux in a given customer situation...  we
will engage with you...  to keep them Microsoft or help them move to
Microsoft technology."

That implies that would-be defectors are going to find themselves on the
receiving end of combination Microsoft-partner SWAT teams.  If one of
them arrives at your company, tell us all about it, please.  The process
will likely commence with your receiving the template with a request
that you complete it "to frame the threat."

As we say, we're pretty sure this email is genuine.  We can't however be
sure how widespread its distribution has been, and the level within the
Microsoft hierarchy it comes from.  It may simply be a single manager
taking the note from on high and making up their own strategy, but even
if that's the case it still gives us a fair idea of how Microsoft
regards Linux on the desktop internally.

It's probably also useful to think of the email alongside a development
it doesn't mention at all - the new Microsoft licensing model.  If
anything is going to drive major Microsoft customers towards Linux, then
this is it.  Companies have been doing their bean-counting, noting that
the new model will cost them a bundle and railroad them into early
adoption of all of Redmond's latest and greatest software, and some of
them must at least be considering an escape route.

When they're contemplating the sheer pain of a rip and replace that'll
land them and their staff with systems they don't actually know a great
deal about, we still don't think many of them will jump.  But the world
looks different from inside Microsoft, where everything's viewed as a
threat.  That Redmond paranoia again? But the IT world would be a duller
place if it didn't exist.  ®

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM