[iwar] [fc:A.New.Kind.Of.War]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-27 15:38:36

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:38:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:A.New.Kind.Of.War]

A New Kind Of War
By Donald H. Rumsfeld, New York Times, September 27, 2001.

WASHINGTON -- President Bush is rallying the nation for a war against
terrorism's attack on our way of life.  Some believe the first casualty
of any war is the truth.  But in this war, the first victory must be to
tell the truth.  And the truth is, this will be a war like none other
our nation has faced.  Indeed, it is easier to describe what lies ahead
by talking about what it is not rather than what it is.

This war will not be waged by a grand alliance united for the single
purpose of defeating an axis of hostile powers.  Instead, it will
involve floating coalitions of countries, which may change and evolve.
Countries will have different roles and contribute in different ways.
Some will provide diplomatic support, others financial, still others
logistical or military.  Some will help us publicly, while others,
because of their circumstances, may help us privately and secretly.  In
this war, the mission will define the coalition - not the other way
around.

We understand that countries we consider our friends may help with
certain efforts or be silent on others, while other actions we take may
depend on the involvement of countries we have considered less than
friendly.

In this context, the decision by the United Arab Emirates and Saudi
Arabia - friends of the United States - to break ties with the Taliban
is an important early success of this campaign, but should not suggest
they will be a part of every action we may contemplate.

This war will not necessarily be one in which we pore over military
targets and mass forces to seize those targets.  Instead, military force
will likely be one of many tools we use to stop individuals, groups and
countries that engage in terrorism.

Our response may include firing cruise missiles into military targets
somewhere in the world; we are just as likely to engage in electronic
combat to track and stop investments moving through offshore banking
centers.  The uniforms of this conflict will be bankers' pinstripes and
programmers' grunge just as assuredly as desert camouflage.

This is not a war against an individual, a group, a religion or a
country.  Rather, our opponent is a global network of terrorist
organizations and their state sponsors, committed to denying free people
the opportunity to live as they choose.  While we may engage militarily
against foreign governments that sponsor terrorism, we may also seek to
make allies of the people those governments suppress.

Even the vocabulary of this war will be different.  When we "invade the
enemy's territory," we may well be invading his cyberspace.  There may
not be as many beachheads stormed as opportunities denied.  Forget about
"exit strategies"; we're looking at a sustained engagement that carries
no deadlines.  We have no fixed rules about how to deploy our troops;
we'll instead establish guidelines to determine whether military force
is the best way to achieve a given objective.

The public may see some dramatic military engagements that produce no
apparent victory, or may be unaware of other actions that lead to major
victories.  "Battles" will be fought by customs officers stopping
suspicious persons at our borders and diplomats securing cooperation
against money laundering.

But if this is a different kind of war, one thing is unchanged: America
remains indomitable.  Our victory will come with Americans living their
lives day by day, going to work, raising their children and building
their dreams as they always have - a free and great people.

Donald H.  Rumsfeld is the secretary of defense.

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM