[iwar] [fc:Syria.to.Support.Anti-Terrorism]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-28 14:45:48

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:45:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Syria.to.Support.Anti-Terrorism]

[FC - look out for definitions here...]

Syria to Support Anti-Terrorism
The Associated Press, Thu 27 Sep 2001

DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) — Denouncing the Sept.  11 attacks as a ``horrible
event,'' Syria's foreign minister said Thursday his country is ready to
support an international effort to combat terrorism — one that has
clearly defined targets and would spare civilians.

Farouk al-Sharaa said it was crucial that such a mission be within a
United Nations framework and that the meaning of terrorism be defined.

Syria has said repeatedly it makes a distinction between terror and
resistance to occupation, such as the Palestinian uprising — a stand
that has put it at odds with the United States.  Several groups
classified as terrorist organizations by Washington are supported by
Syria.

``All of us were shocked and all of us have thought and are still
thinking how the world would look now and in the future,'' said
al-Sharaa, referring to the bombings in the United States.

``We would like to see this horrible event ...  as a turning point in
the history of all nations ...  and out of the rubble and the ashes and
the darkness we could see the light for the sake of humanity throughout
the whole world,'' al-Sharaa said.

The Syrian official spoke at a news conference following a meeting
between President Bashar Assad and a European Union team on a mission to
bolster Arab support for the U.S.-led coalition against terror.  With
its close ties to Iran and the Lebanese guerrilla group Hezbollah, as
well as its recent rapprochement with Iraq, Syria's support for the
U.S.-led campaign is crucial.

U.S.  Secretary of State Colin Powell told The Associated Press Tuesday
his country was ``exploring opportunities to cooperate'' with Damascus
in the fight against terrorism.  At the same time, the State Department
has kept Syria on a list of seven nations sponsoring terrorism.  Asked
to comment on an apparent contradiction in U.S.  position, al-Sharaa
said: ``I can understand the American position for a new administration.
This list has been there for a long time.'' ``Of course we do not
believe in it,'' he added.  ``We are totally against terrorism.''

Al-Sharaa said that the large number of casualties — more than 6,000
people are either dead or missing — has given ``a great lesson to fight
terrorism.''

``We believe in combating terrorism with a lot of wisdom, a lot of
thinking, a lot of information collected and also with very clear
objective,'' he said.

He said Assad had told his European visitors that Syria ``supports an
international effort to combat terrorism.'' But, he said, Assad had
stressed the targets for such a mission should be clearly defined and
the campaign should pose no danger to civilians.

``We can't see that any military action would take place where civilians
and innocent people get killed ...  as though we are combating terrorism
with having in front of us victims as a target instead of finding
terrorists to punish,'' al-Sharaa said.

He also quoted Assad as telling the Europeans there ``should never be
any linkage between terrorism and the Arab world and the Islamic
world.''

Belgian Foreign Minister Louis Michel, who headed the EU team, said the
meeting with Assad was ``positive'' although there were ``some
disagreements.'' He did not elaborate.

The EU delegation has already visited Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia and
Egypt.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM