[iwar] Tech industry: We're at war

From: Vernon Stagg (vstagg@deakin.edu.au)
Date: 2001-12-18 02:00:57

To: <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: "Vernon Stagg" <vstagg@deakin.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:00:57 +1100
Subject: [iwar] Tech industry: We're at war

Tech industry warned: 'We're at war'
By Robert Lemos, News.com
December 13, 2001 4:04 PM PT
SAN JOSE, Calif.--Policy-makers, security experts, and network protection
companies told Silicon Valley executives Thursday that it's time to
concentrate on new, high-tech weapons against terrorism.

Although a major terrorist attack against the Internet has yet to happen,
businesses should start protecting themselves--and thus, the U.S.
economy--against just such an eventuality, said Floyd Kvamme, special
technology adviser to President Bush.

"The message is: We are at war," Kvamme said. "And war requires special
activities on the part of everyone."

Executives from companies all over the southern Bay Area attended the
conference here to hear experts discuss how companies can secure their
computers from Internet attack, protect their employees from biological
attacks, and use public policy that's being created to help them.

Speaking at the Silicon Valley Technology & Homeland Security Summit, Kvamme
said that high-tech companies in the Bay Area need to remember their roots
in the defense industry, when Fairchild, Lockheed Martin and Hughes were the
big successes.

The implication: The United States needs technology used for defense to
secure itself against terrorists.

"The systems we have today are so tightly connected that if we knock out (a
central system), then that's an effective attack," said Ron Moritz, a
consultant who represented the Justice Department as a delegate to the G-8
Summit on High-Tech Crime.

The participants stressed that security is a relative concept, however.

Computers always have holes, and network protection is never 100 percent,
said Rich DeMillo, chief security officer for Hewlett-Packard. "If you want
a truly secure system, turn the machine off," he said. "Everything else is
an economic trade-off."

DeMillo added that standard technologies would bring the nation closer to
more secure systems. He praised the momentum open-source systems have
gained.

"Linux becomes a very big part of security," he said. "Cleverness and
secrecy seldom work to build up trust."

The experts also warned companies that they have to start thinking about
security today.

"We need to be more pro-active," said Frank Huerta, CEO of security software
company Recourse Technologies. "Finding yesterday's attack is no longer good
enough."

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!