[iwar] Should India destabilize Pakistan and how? IndiaTimes story

From: Ravi V Prasad (r_v_p@yahoo.com)
Date: 2002-01-03 09:08:48

To: pak-india@yahoogroups.com, iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Ravi V Prasad <r_v_p@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 09:08:48 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] Should India destabilize Pakistan and how? IndiaTimes story

Should India destabilize Pakistan and how -- RVP

Read the full story at

http://news.indiatimes.com/articleshow.asp?art_ID=748593590

India can beat Pak at its own game: IB officials

BY PRATYUSH KANTH

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

EW DELHI: Intelligence agencies claim that India is
‘‘ready’’ and is in a ‘‘better position’’ to beat
Pakistan in its own game of destabilising others by
using the same strategies which the ISI has been using
against this country the past few years.

‘‘A section of officials in the intelligence agencies
favours using disgruntled elements of that country to
unleash violence in different parts of Pakistan. Major
problems like poverty and unemployment in Pakistan
makes it easy to recruit people, who for some money,
will be ready to do anything they are toldfor.’’ a
senior official told The Times of India.

Some officials say India could even hire terrorist
groups or give them support and wage a proxy war
against Pakistan. ‘‘We can destabilise their country
in a matter of months, if we get the political
clearance,’’ said an official.

According to IB sources, the US attack on Afghanistan
and the fall of the Taliban government has changed the
entire internal security scene in Pakistan, with some
stridently attacking the Musharraf government for not
supporting the Taliban in their fight against the US.
Citing intelligence report, the sources said Pakistan
now wants to shift the people’s attention from
Afghanistan to India by spreading terror in this
country.

However, several IB officials are strongly opposed to
the iodea of sponsoring terrorism in Pakistan. ‘‘It
may give some quick favourable results, but in the
long term it ruins the country which plays this
game,’’ a senior offical said. He stressed that
terrorism can only be fought by political
understanding and ‘‘we have to learn from the examples
of Ireland and Israel’’, where this problem has lasted
from 80 to 50 yerars.

According to officials, the intelligence agencies are
alive to the danger of Nepal being made by ISI a new
base for launching terrorism and have advised Nepal
accordingly.

‘‘Only a political understanding with Pakistan can
help us fight the terrorist problem, otherwise we have
to strengthen our intelligence network and fence our
borders properly,’’ said an IB official.

...............continued

Read the full story at

http://news.indiatimes.com/articleshow.asp?art_ID=748593590

http://greetings.yahoo.com