[iwar] Solicitation for stupid things you have heard.

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-01-06 08:29:24

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 08:29:24 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] Solicitation for stupid things you have heard.

I want to solicit the list members of these forums to help me with an
article I am writing for Managing Network Security.  I extract here from
the current draft beginning of the article in the hopes that those of
you who are interested will provide the raw material I need...

-------------
I have heard many decision makers and executives say things that went
unchallenged even though they were dead wrong.  the reason they went
unchallenged varried with the situation, but I think there are three
basic areas of rational.  (1) The person they were talking to perceived
themselves as less powerful and did not wish to offend, (2) the person
they were talking to did not know the facts and simply bought into the
misimpression of the more senior person without questioning it, or (3)
the person they were talking to was afraid of offending the executive
because they wanted something from the executive and figured you go
along to get along.

Well, I don't perceive myself as less powerful than anyone, I know some
of the facts, and the chances of my getting any money from anyone like
that are so poor that I have nothing to lose.  So I am going os a brief
crusade this month fighting the stupid things I have heard high-level
people say about security issues, particularly those who were believed
by others and whose expressions found their way into widespread belief.

Of course to really do this well, I need a list of the ten most stupid
things people have said so I can trash them.  Of course to really do
this well, I need a list of the ten most stupid things people have said
so I can trash them.  Rather than come up with my own list, I have
decided to ask others to list the ones they have heard, and I will
sprinkle in one or two of my favorites along the way.
-------------

Please feel free to respond directly to me (fc@all.net) or to the list
(if you want the list members angry at you).

FC
--This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to serve--
Fred Cohen		Fred Cohen & Associates.........tel/fax:925-454-0171
fc@all.net		The University of New Haven.....http://www.unhca.com/
http://all.net/		Sandia National Laboratories....tel:925-294-2087

Sponsored by VeriSign - The Value of Trust
Pinpoint the right security solution for your company - FREE
Guide from industry leader VeriSign gives you all the facts.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pCuuSA/WdiDAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM