[iwar] [fc:'Network.nation'.will.foil.terror]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-01-07 17:21:59

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:21:59 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:'Network.nation'.will.foil.terror]

'Network nation' will foil terror

By Dennis Kozlowski, USA Today, 1/7/2002

Despite our success in Afghanistan, concerns over terrorist threats here
at home have not dissipated. In fact, we've been warned of threats to
targets as diverse as Western bridges, Northeastern shopping malls and,
most chillingly, Texas public schools.

President Bush has asked citizens to lend their "eyes and ears to our
efforts to find and stop those who want to do us harm," echoing similar
appeals by the FBI and the Office of Homeland Security.

Americans are eager to assume their new responsibilities, but we don't
know how and where to look and listen. We need a new vision: a new
national network for "citizen defense." This network must:

Be impervious to terrorist attacks.  Empower citizens to truly play a
part in identifying and responding to security threats in real time. Allow public-safety
officials to instantly alert citizens to threats or
emergencies and tell them how to respond.  The USA has long been the
"network nation," the hub of commerce, language, entertainment and
technology. That is part of our strength - and our vulnerability.
Al-Qaeda didn't have to loft ICBMs across the Atlantic to hit the heart
of America's vitality: the network that allows a free flow of
communication, ideas, mail, trade, travel - and life.

Terrorists demonstrated that our network is vulnerable to single points
of failure. By choosing strategic targets - the World Trade Center, the
Pentagon, our mail system - they temporarily paralyzed certain network
channels.

We must create a stronger, faster and more robust network that prevents,
not simply withstands, terrorist attacks. A good start: Activate a
complete, ubiquitous broadband network, accessible to all Americans.

A broadband solution

Like the Internet, which worked on Sept. 11 while telephone and cellular
networks crashed, a broadband citizen-defense network could survive a
break in one part of the system, while adding extra capacity to deal
with a surge in traffic during an emergency.

Unlike the Internet, a broadband citizen-defense network would carry
high-resolution video images and voice communication. Right now, Web
cams allow online users to check out Aspen ski conditions, watch the San
Diego Zoo's pandas, monitor New Jersey Turnpike traffic snarls or gaze
at the waves off California's Laguna Beach. A broadband network for
citizen defense would expand cam coverage and open up access, enabling
citizens to keep an eye on sites that concern them most - a local
airstrip, power plant or their children's school.

For example, Texas schools last month were put on alert after foreign
intelligence suggested a terrorist threat. The warning soon was
withdrawn, but it illustrates our ongoing vulnerability to attack, as
well as the inadequate nature of our network: in this case, a one-way
alert issued from government to citizens.

Citizens alert and ready

Imagine a different network in which parents can check the playground
and halls of their children's schools via their computer or a handheld
video monitor. Imagine they can talk to their children via videophone
and use the same device to alert police to potential threats to the
school. Imagine that school or government officials can immediately tell
parents or citizens about threats or what to do in an actual emergency.
Imagine, too, that citizens can watch the watchers by accessing cams
mounted in, say, public and private surveillance-monitoring stations to
ensure that our civil liberties aren't abused.

Historically, war has made possible things that would have been too
daunting and daring in more pacific times. There is already talk of
putting cameras inside airplanes and using wireless networks to both
reassure passengers and, if necessary, take control of the aircraft. But
we need more: a new people's technology, a new network that will truly
empower Americans to take up their new responsibilities in citizen
defense while allowing them to live safer, more vital lives.

Dennis Kozlowski is CEO of Tyco International Ltd.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/kgFolB/TM