[iwar] [fc:WASH..POST/Congressman.ordered.to.pulls.down.pants.at.airport]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-01-08 13:09:07

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 13:09:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:WASH..POST/Congressman.ordered.to.pulls.down.pants.at.airport]

Boxers or Briefs? Rep. Dingell's Airport Exposure

The Reliable Source can be reached at <a href="mailto:grovel@washpost.com?Subject=Re:%20(ai)%20WASH.%20POST/Congressman%20ordered%20to%20pulls%20down%20pants%20at%20airport%2526In-Reply-To=%2526lt;B8608256.21C05%25rforno@infowarrior.org">grovel@washpost.c
om</a>,
or c/o The
Washington Post, 1150 15th Street, N.W., Washington, D.C., 20071. Here is an
archive of columns.

By Lloyd Grove
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 8, 2002; Page C03

Count frequent flier Rep. John Dingell, ranking member of the powerful House
Energy and Commerce Committee, among the victims of post-9-11 airline
security measures. After his artificial hip set off a metal detector
Saturday afternoon, the 75-year-old Michigan Democrat was ordered to pull
down his pants at Reagan National Airport as he tried to board Northwest
Airlines Flight 1417 to Detroit.

Dingell, who flies Northwest between Washington and Detroit around 100 times
a year, told us yesterday that he explained to an airport security employee
he was wearing a knee brace and surgically implanted pins are in his ankles,
as well as a steel hip joint. Dingell said he refused a request to send his
wallet through the X-ray machine, telling employees that a few weeks earlier
jewelry had been stolen from his wife, General Motors Foundation President
Debbie Dingell, when she sent it through.

It was then that the security employee, known as a screener, ordered him to
unhook the brace from his knee and remove his shoes and socks, Dingell said.
Then the congressman was led into a temporary office and directed to lower
his slacks while the employee waved a metal-detecting wand over his boxer
shorts.

"I complied, but tried to do it with some small bit of dignity," Dingell
said, adding that afterward he couldn't help seething to his wife, "Woman,
do you realize what they made me do?" He added: "It seems to me that there
was some incompetence involved here." The screener appeared to be unaware of
Dingell's status as a congressman, and Dingell stressed that he never
mentioned it during the ordeal.

Northwest Airlines spokesman Kurt Ebenhoch yesterday defended the conduct of
the screener, an employee of the airline's security contractor, Globe
Aviation, saying the employee was merely following procedures mandated by
the Federal Aviation Administration. "We regret any inconveniences that
FAA-mandated procedures created for Representative Dingell," Ebenhoch said,
adding that Globe employees "performed their duties in a professional and
dignified manner."

Maybe. But yesterday, after we alerted Transportation Secretary Norman
Mineta to Dingell's suffering, Mineta phoned his former House colleague to
apologize profusely. "The secretary got ahold of Mr. Dingell and told him he
is appalled," said Mineta's communications director, Chet Lunner, adding
that Mineta had also been subjected to rigorous probing at airports, though
not pants-dropping. "They're old friends, and he said, 'John, I feel your
pain. I fly commercial all the time, and it seems like they sometimes pick
out public officials to make an example of them and show how thorough they
are.' "

Dingell recounted: "I said, 'Norm, I'm not asking for an apology. And I know
we don't want any more events like September 11th. I don't want any special
treatment. I don't want to be treated any better than anyone else, but I
don't want to be treated any worse either.' "

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/kgFolB/TM