[iwar] [fc:Lawmaker.Wants.Magic.Lantern.Information.From.FBI]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-01-15 20:12:57

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:12:57 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Lawmaker.Wants.Magic.Lantern.Information.From.FBI]

Lawmaker Wants Magic Lantern Information From FBI
By Robert MacMillan, Newsbytes, 1/15/2002

Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, in a letter last week told the FBI that he is
concerned about the bureau's refusal to provide information about the
existence of a computer and e-mail surveillance plan dubbed "Magic
Lantern."
In the letter, provided to the Politech mailing list by Paul's
legislative director Norman Singleton, the Congressman asked FBI
Director Robert Mueller to hand over information on the keystroke
monitoring program, "or provide me with written justification for the
FBI's refusal to share information on this crucial issue."
Paul asked for a response within two weeks.
"If ... media reports are accurate, the Magic Lantern project could
greatly impact the privacy and civil liberties of all Americans who
communicate via e-mail," Paul said. "Recently, my legislative director
attempted to obtain information on this project from the FBI and was
told such information was classified. Considering the potential impact
of Magic Lantern, I am sure you can understand why I was disturbed by
this refusal."
Media reports have said that the FBI could distribute Magic Lantern the
same way worms thread through the Internet, which would eliminate the
need for law enforcement to physically install monitoring programs on
suspect's computers.
Privacy advocates are concerned that a program such as Magic Lantern
could help the FBI circumvent the normal process of subjecting to a
court's oversight when using surveillance tools.
FBI officials had no immediate comment on the letter.