[iwar] [fc:Troops.to.Guard.Groundhog.Punxsutawney.Phil]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-01-16 12:24:20

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 12:24:20 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Troops.to.Guard.Groundhog.Punxsutawney.Phil]

Wednesday January 16 11:04 AM ET

Troops to Guard Groundhog Punxsutawney Phil

PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. (Reuters) - Troops will be deployed in a small
Pennsylvania community in February to guard a groundhog named
Punxsutawney Phil,
which each year attracts huge crowds of people who believe the animal
can forecast the weather.

``We just never know what may pop up in these times, so we are getting
prepared,'' said Jamie Levier, a spokesman for the state police in
Punxsutawney, a
rural community about 90 miles (144 km) northwest of Pittsburgh made
famous in a movie called ''Groundhog Day'' that starred Bill Murray.

A team of state police, bomb-sniffing dogs and National Guard troops
will be stationed near Gobbler's Knob Feb. 2 to ward off problems at
this year's
Groundhog Day festivities.

Levier said all knapsacks will be hand checked by police and spectators
will not be permitted to drive to the groundhog site. More than 100
school buses will
be available to transport people. All passengers will be inspected as
they enter the buses, Levier said.

Bill Cooper, president of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club, said he
expects more than 30,000 spectators at this year's forecast event. If
the groundhog can
see its own shadow on that day, winter will last another six weeks
before spring, according to legend.

In the past 116 years, the rodent and its ancestors have seen a shadow
101 times.

``There was only one year we did not have the event and that was in 1942
because we did not want to give our World War II enemies any favorable weather
forecasts,'' Cooper said.

Although some local residents had thought about canceling the event
because of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on New York and Washington,
Cooper said
that city leaders felt the event would show the world the nation's ``resiliency.''

``Everything has changed in America, but Groundhog Day is one way of
showing the world we are getting back to normal,'' said Cooper. ``Still,
I guess
having a groundhog who eats strawberry yogurt may not sound very normal,
but it does put a smile on a weary nervous town and nation these days,'' added
Cooper.

Sponsored by VeriSign - The Value of Trust
When building an e-commerce site, you want to start with a
secure foundation. Learn how with VeriSign's FREE Guide.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/oCuuSA/XdiDAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM