[iwar] [NewsBits] NewsBits - 01/18/02 (fwd)

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-01-20 13:37:27

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:37:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [NewsBits] NewsBits - 01/18/02 (fwd)

January 18, 2002

Terrorist PCs cracked
The default encryption standards on exported versions
of  Windows 2000 may have revealed confidential details
about the movements of the al-Qaeda network. Two computers
bought by Wall Street Journal reporters from looters in
Kabul after it was captured by the Northern Alliance
turned out to have been lifted from al-Qaeda headquarters
and still contained documents relating to the terrorist
group's activities.
http://www.vnunet.com/News/1128496

Weakened Encryption Lays Bare al-Queda Files
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=3Dns99991804

French newspaper reports shoebomber plot E-Mail
A French newspaper reported on Saturday that
investigators had found an e-mail message in which
alleged shoe bomber Richard Reid wrote of plans to
destroy an airliner.  La Provence, based in the
southern city of Marseille, said investigators had
tracked the e-mail thanks to a cybercafe address
found on Reid. The 28-year-old Briton pleaded not
guilty in a U.S. court on Friday to charges that he
tried to blow up the Miami-bound plane he boarded
in Paris last month.
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/reuters_wire/1736684l.htm

Plea Agreement In Distributed Computing Case
Network administrator David McOwen faced 120 year
sentence for installing clients without permission.
He accepted a probation deal this week to 'stop
this madness.'  A Georgia man who was accused of
computer theft and trespass after installing a
distributed computing client at work, has accepted
a plea agreement that will bring an end to his two-
year legal odyssey.
http://www.securityfocus.com/news/311

Italy Investigates, Does Not Indict Infiltrators - Update
Italian authorities earlier this week identified,
but did not arrest, six young hackers who launched
attacks on computer systems at the Pentagon and
NASA. Italian Embassy spokesman Roberto Natali said
that the Italian Guardia di Finanza has identified
the hackers as six boys and men between the ages
of 15 and 23 who are suspected of hacking computer
systems belonging to NASA and the Defense Department.
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/173782.html

Hackers attacked 103 Moroccan Web sites in 2001
At least 103 Moroccan Internet Web sites were
attacked by hackers last year, in several attempts
to modify their contents, the official MAP news
agency said on Friday. Quoting experts at leading
Menara site, MAP said local firms specializing in
information technologies have urged the authorities
to set up a legal framework and proceedings to
deter hacker attacks and protect the E-business
activity in Morocco.
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/reuters_wire/1735938l.htm

Online information could be aiding terrorists, FBI warns
The FBI=92s National Infrastructure Protection Center
is calling on the operators of the nation=92s critical
infrastructure to be more aware of what information
they post online. NIPC has received reports suggesting
that =93infrastructure-related information, available
on the Internet, is being accessed from sites around
the world,=94 according to an advisory released Thursday,
=93Internet Content Advisory: Considering the Unintended
Audience.=94
http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0102/011802j2.htm
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/173770.html

Spammers Near Top Of Would-Be Hackers List
Out-of-control Internet worms such as Code Red
and Nimda may have heightened awareness of the
automated tools hackers use to uncover and
exploit vulnerabilities in computer systems.
But he people behind some of the most-common
probes on the Net aren't looking to break into
your computer. They may, however, want to send
  you some e-mail.
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/173797.html

Europe is virus hotbed, warns report
Trends on the hacker underground are changing.
Viruses are on the way out and exploitation of
software vulnerabilities is increasing, according
to research. Analysts at mi2g's Intelligence Unit
said that the emergence of new trends became
evident last year. Figures compiled by the group
revealed a decrease of 41 per cent in new virus
species, from 413 in 2000 to 245 in 2001.
http://www.vnunet.com/News/1128483

Tech aimed at homeland security
A Washington, D.C., think tank is calling for
increased use of information technology =97 including
smart identification cards and the linking of databases
=97 to improve homeland security. It also advocates the
creation of a chief information officer responsible
for reviewing homeland security technology applications.
The Progressive Policy Institute, a group aligned with
the Democratic Leadership Council, on Jan. 18 unveiled
two papers outlining ways technology could be used to
help bolster terrorism detection and prevention at all
levels of government.
http://www.fcw.com/geb/articles/2002/0121/web-ppi-01-21-02.asp

Bush Administration Urged To Go High-Tech On Terrorism
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/173794.html

Intell info-sharing net gains support
After the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks broadsided the
intelligence community, top officials believe they
have the impetus needed to link the 14 intelligence
agencies into an information-sharing system originally
proposed more than a year ago. The plan, put together
by the executive board of the Intelligence Community
Chief Information Office at the end of 2000, calls
for the development during the next two years of a
network- or Web-based system that brings together
all of the information intelligence agencies collect.
http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2002/0121/news-share-01-21-02.asp

China orders Internet providers to screen e-mail,
use less foreign software.  China has issued its
most intrusive Internet controls to date, ordering
service providers to screen private e-mail for
political content and holding them responsible for
subversive postings on their Web sites. The new
rules, posted earlier this week on the Web site
of the Ministry of Information Industry, represent
Beijing's latest efforts to tighten its grip on
the only major medium in China not already under
state control.
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/tech/004019.htm
http://www.msnbc.com/news/690246.asp
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/01/18/china.internet.ap/index.html
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2002/01/18/china-internet.htm
http://www.nandotimes.com/technology/story/222813p-2150707c.html

Qwest To Send Second Opt-Out Notice To Customers
Qwest Communications under fire for its policy regarding
the use of private account information, today said it
will send another opt-out notice to customers. "We plan
on sending a second reminder notice in all of our customer
bills in February," Qwest spokesman Steve Hammack said.
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/173798.html

Exploding Chips Could Foil Laptop Thieves
A new way of making silicon explode could mean anyone
trying to use a stolen laptop or mobile will be
confronted by this message: "This machine is stolen
and will self-destruct in ten seconds...".
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=3Dns99991795
http://www.vnunet.com/News/1128488

PC Antitheft Alarm Card Sounds Off
http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/15888.html

Security gurus hail Gates' memo
Security experts hope that this time Microsoft really,
really means it.  A memo from Chairman Bill Gates,
leaked Wednesday, exhorted Microsoft employees to
make the company's products more secure and stated
that a new initiative, which Gates called "Trustworthy
Computing," is now the software giant's top priority.
The initiative, Gates wrote, aims to make computing
and the Internet "as available, reliable and secure
as electricity, water services and telephony."
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-817847.html

Week in review: Trust Microsoft?
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-11-818821.html
Pro: Computing you can rely on
http://news.com.com/2010-1078-818543.html
Microsoft's shift to safety won't be easy or cheap
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2002/01/17/microsoft-security.htm

Refresher =96 Password Usage
Let=92s be honest, passwords are annoying. These days,
we need a password or PIN everywhere. We have so
many that we can=92t keep track of them all. We forget
to update them; and when we do, it=92s difficult to
come up with effective ones that we can still remember,
so we procrastinate changing them for months, even
years. We all know this is bad, but the alternative
=96 the painful, irritating password creation and
memorization process =96 is sometimes more than we
can tolerate. There is hope!
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1537

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!