[iwar] [fc:White.House.Cybersecurity.'Strategy'.Due.In.June]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-01-25 21:29:00

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 21:29:00 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:White.House.Cybersecurity.'Strategy'.Due.In.June]

White House Cybersecurity 'Strategy' Due In June

By David McGuire,
Newsbytes.com
Friday, January 25, 2002; 4:53 PM

The White House will avoid calling for legislative edicts when it rolls out
its sweeping national cybersecurity "strategy" later this year, a senior
Bush administration official said today.

Speaking at a technology conference here, White House Director of Critical
Infrastructure Protection Paul Kurtz said that the cybersecurity strategy -
which is due out June - would include extensive input from private-sector
contributors.

"If we don't have buy-in from the private sector, we're not going to get
anywhere," Kurtz said. "We want to avoid regulation."

"I think it's going to be very difficult for the government to tell the
transportation sector (for instance) how to secure its systems," Kurtz said.

Kurtz added that the cybersecurity strategy, which Bush ordered created last
year, would seek to outline "market-based" motivations for companies in
various sectors to beef up their electronic security.

But while the cybersecurity strategy may not include legislative components,
Kurtz said that the Bush administration would, "over time," develop
legislative recommendations surrounding cybersecurity.

Kurtz said that the White House already supports legislation that would
create limited exemptions under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) for
companies that want to share information with the government about
electronic attacks.

Many companies complain that they cannot tell the government when their
systems are compromised because they fear the media will get hold of those
reports by invoking FOIA. A key tool for news organizations, FOIA allows the
public to obtain government documents.

Congress has already pondered legislation that would establish limited FOIA
exemptions, but Kurtz declined to expressly endorse any of the proposals
currently pending.

Kurtz also outlined some of the steps the government is already taking to
strengthen federal cybersecurity. Kurtz said that the Bush administration
continues to weigh its options for creating a more secure network for
sensitive government communications (under a proposal called GovNet) and
remains committed to its Cyber Corps program, which gives engineering
students incentives to take government jobs.

Once released, the cybersecurity strategy will be made widely available
online and will address cybersecurity as it relates to both the public and
private sector.

Sponsored by VeriSign - The Value of Trust
Pinpoint the right security solution for your company - FREE
Guide from industry leader VeriSign gives you all the facts.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pCuuSA/WdiDAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM