[iwar] [fc:ISLAM-INFONET:.Protecting.Speech.on.Campus/News.Briefs]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-01-27 09:51:41

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:51:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:ISLAM-INFONET:.Protecting.Speech.on.Campus/News.Briefs]

CAIR wrote:

In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful

-----

AMERICAN MUSLIM NEWS BRIEFS - 1/27/2002

-----

HEADLINES:

* HADITH OF THE DAY: KINDNESS TO CHILDREN
* CAIR OFFERS NASA SENSITIVITY TRAINING WORKSHOP
* CAIR-OHIO MEETS COLUMBUS DISPATCH EDITORIAL BOARD
         - INDEPENDENT WRITERS SYNDICATE (CAIR)
* RELIGION RISES FROM OBSCURITY (Winnipeg Free Press)
* EDITORIAL: PROTECTING SPEECH ON CAMPUS (New York Times)
* SUDAN FACT-FINDING DELEGATION TO HOLD NEWS CONFERENCE
* GHOSTS AND SECRETS AT MASS KILLER'S FUNERAL (Independent)
         - WAS THIS ANOTHER TARGETED KILLING? (Independent)
         - SECRETS SHARON WILL TAKE TO HIS GRAVE (The Herald)
* POWELL ASKS BUSH TO REVERSE STAND ON WAR CAPTIVES (New York Times)
* GOD SQUAD: A STORIED, GLORIOUS RELIGION (Newsday)
* MUSLIM LEADERS MEET U.S. OFFICIALS (Chicago Tribune)
* FOLLOWING ISLAM IN THE UNITED STATES (Washington Post)
* LETTER: RACISM AT O'HARE (Chicago Tribune)

-----

HADITH OF THE DAY: KINDNESS TO CHILDREN

Aisha (may God be pleased with her), the wife of Prophet Muhammad (peace be
upon him), related the following: “A poor woman came to me along with her
two daughters. I gave her three dates. She gave a date to each of them and
then she took one date and brought it to her mouth in order to eat, but her
daughters expressed desire to eat it. She then divided the date that she
intended to eat between them. This (kind) treatment impressed me and I
mentioned what she did to the Holy Prophet (Muhammad). Thereupon he said:
‘Verily God has assured her Paradise because of (this act)...’”

Sahih Muslim, Hadith 1210

-----

CAIR OFFERS NASA SENSITIVITY TRAINING WORKSHOP

CAIR's Sensitivity and Diversity Training Center (SDTC) recently conducted
a sensitivity training workshop for THE National Aeronautics and Space
Administration (NASA).

Some 35 NASA civil rights directors, engineers and staff participated in
the training. SDTC Director Nancy Hanaan Serag presented an “Islam: Myths
and Stereotypes” seminar, including a brief overview of basic Islamic
beliefs and practices. Workshop attendees also participated in an
interactive quiz testing their prior knowledge about the Muslim faith and
group exercises dealing with issues of prejudice and stereotyping.

”Since the horrific attacks of September 11, there has been a quest for
knowledge and understanding of the Muslim faith. It is now time to
appreciate our nation’s religious and cultural diversity,” said Serag.

CAIR's Sensitivity and Diversity Training Center offers several programs
for a wide range of environments and needs. For more information contact:
Nancy Hanaan Serag at 202-488-8787, ext. 6052

-----

CAIR-OHIO MEETS COLUMBUS DISPATCH EDITORIAL BOARD

Representatives of CAIR-Ohio met recently with the editorial board of the
Columbus dispatch. Board members were presented with a content analysis of
their opinion/editorial pages since the terrorist attacks of September 11.
This analysis indicated that only a tiny percentage of commentaries were
written by Muslim. CAIR-Ohio pointed out that the Muslim community would
like more opportunities to speak for itself. CAIR’s Independent Writers
Syndicate was suggested as a source of commentary writer from a Muslim
perspective.

INDEPENDENT WRITERS SYNDICATE

CAIR's "Independent Writers Syndicate" is designed to offer a Muslim
perspective on current political, social and religious issues. The service
distributes original commentaries to newspapers and web sites throughout
North America.

Commentaries are offered free-of-charge to one media outlet in each market
area. Permissions for publication will be granted on a
first-come-first-served basis.

Opinion page editors may also request columns on specific topics.

CONTACT: Riad Abdelkarim, <a href="mailto:riadzuhdi@aol.com?Subject=Re:%20(ai)%20[Fwd:%20ISLAM-INFONET:%20Protecting%20Speech%20on%20Campus/News%20Briefs]%2526In-Reply-To=%2526lt;3C5430E8.90538EDC@speconsult.com">riadzuhdi@aol.com</a>

-----

RELIGION RISES FROM OBSCURITY
Panel discovers lack of coverage in the wake of Sept. 11 attacks
By MaryLou Driedgerm, Winnipeg Free Press, 1/26/2002

It wasn't until a couple of hours after the first airliner crashed into the
World Trade Center when CTV News's Kirk Lapointe discovered a significant
gap in the network's reporting.

"Just after 10:30 on the morning of Sept. 11, I remember looking around our
newsroom and realizing I did not see a single Muslim face. We had no
in-house resource, no one to explain the religion of Islam, or help us
understand what the Muslim people must be thinking and feeling," recalled
Lapointe, the senior vice-president of CTV News, during a forum on Faith
and the Media held this week in Winnipeg…The media received praise,
however, from Riad Saloojee, executive director of the Canadian Council of
American- Islamic Relations. He noted Canada's 500,000 Muslims have found
some things about the coverage given their faith community in recent months
encouraging.

"There has been a sincere attempt to understand the Islamic perspective,"
he said. "Particularly during Ramadan, a significant effort was made to
provide information which would help Canadians understand their Islamic
neighbours."

Saloojee, hastened to add that some negative things needed highlighting,
too. "Certain reporters have tried to minimize the backlash against Muslim
Canadians. They have suggested the reaction has been limited to
name-calling and verbal slurs. In fact, police have documented over 115
incidents including death threats and assaults."

Saloojee also suggested some columnists have thoughtlessly linked the words
Muslim or Islam with the words terrorist, fundamentalist or holy war.
Lapointe agreed with him. "We don't call terrorists in Ireland Protestant
or Catholic," he noted…

-----

EDITORIAL: PROTECTING SPEECH ON CAMPUS
The New York Times, 1/27/2002

Wartime is precisely the moment when unpopular views and the role of a
university as an open forum for ideas must be most vigorously defended.

The case involves Sami Al-Arian, a tenured professor of computer science
active in the Islamic movement. In 1988, he gave a speech in which he
called for "victory to Islam" and "death to Israel." Last September, in a
television appearance, Mr. Al- Arian was reminded of his words 14 years ago
and asked about militant Muslims whom he had invited to the university. Mr.
Al-Arian distanced himself from his previous statements and from violence
of any kind.

Nevertheless, the next day, the university, in Tampa, received hundreds of
phone calls and e- mail messages, some threatening the university and
others threatening Mr. Al-Arian.

The university has sent him a letter of dismissal. It said that he failed
to make clear on television that he was not representing the University of
South Florida and that his presence on campus was such a disruption that
the business of the university could not proceed. Both complaints are
groundless and make a mockery of free speech and academic freedom. Governor
Bush has compounded the problem by publicly backing the university's approach.

University officials say they are not getting rid of Mr. Al-Arian because
of his views. That is disingenuous. The documentation they have produced
focuses on the "disruption" he is said to have caused and refers repeatedly
to a drop in contributions. In other words, Mr. Al-Arian's politics are
costing the university too much so it wants to get rid of him.

If Mr. Al-Arian were a moderate receiving threats from militant Muslims,
there is little doubt that the university would stand up for him…Free
speech and academic freedom must be blind to politics. Conservatives
deserve as much protection as liberals. Critics of affirmative action have
been harassed or threatened at colleges. Firing a professor because his
views are causing others to criticize or threaten the university is a
betrayal of the academic code. No campus should be run that way.

-----

SUDAN FACT-FINDING DELEGATION TO HOLD NEWS CONFERENCE

An American fact-finding delegation which recently returned from Sudan will
report on its trip in a press conference Monday, Jan. 28 at 9:30 a.m. in
the Lisagor Room of the National Press Club, 529 14th St. N.W. in
Washington, D.C.

The trip was organized by the Coalition to Give Peace a Chance in Sudan, an
ad-hoc group of organizations and individuals seeking to promote peace in
Sudan and improve U.S.-Sudan relations.

CONTACT: Coalition to Give Peace a Chance in Sudan, 301-728-8949

-----

GHOSTS AND SECRETS AT MASS KILLER'S FUNERAL
By Robert Fisk, The Independent, 1/27/2002

Hobeika was ready to give evidence against Ariel Sharon, Israel's Prime
Minister, in Belgium in March - evidence he believed would prove that the
then Israeli defence minister was directly culpable for the Beirut
massacre. The car bomb that killed Hobeika and three of his bodyguards -
two of their coffins flanked his yesterday - exploded less than two days
after he had agreed to testify against Mr Sharon. So all of us felt another
presence in the ugly little concrete church of Mar Tackla, with its
blood-red stained-glass windows: that of the Israeli Prime Minister for
whom Hobeika once worked and who, the Lebanese believe, ordered his murder.

The Lebanese police have already identified the car that blew Hobeika to
bits. The professional assassins had erased the chassis serial number which
would have allowed the owner to be traced, but Lebanese intelligence men
found the engine number and telephoned Mercedes headquarters. It came back
with the chassis number, and the police immediately traced the vehicle to a
man living in the town of Jezzine - notorious under Israeli occupation for
19 years as a headquarters for Israeli Shin Beth intelligence men.

SEE ALSO:

WAS THIS ANOTHER TARGETED KILLING?

SECRETS SHARON WILL TAKE TO HIS GRAVE

-----

POWELL ASKS BUSH TO REVERSE STAND ON WAR CAPTIVES
By KATHARINE Q. SEELYE, The New York Times, 1/27/2002

WASHINGTON, Jan. 26  Breaking with other cabinet officials, Secretary of
State Colin L. Powell has asked President Bush to declare that the United
States is bound by the Geneva Conventions in its treatment of the captives
in Afghanistan and at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, administration officials said
today.

Seeking a review of a presidential decision made nine days ago, when the
administration determined that the captured fighters were not prisoners of
war and hence not fully protected by the Geneva Conventions, Mr. Powell and
his lawyers at the State Department urged Mr. Bush to affirm that the
international law of war does govern the United States' treatment of all
captives of the Taliban military and the terrorist network Al Qaeda.

Mr. Powell asked for the review after allies and human-rights advocates
suggested that the United States had skirted some of the conventions'
technical requirements…

-----

GOD SQUAD: A STORIED, GLORIOUS RELIGION
By Rabbi Marc Gellman &amp; Msgr; Thomas Hartman, Newsday, 1/26/2002

Q. It's tough to love your enemy. Since Sept. 11, I find myself consumed
with anger toward Muslims. I know only a few are terrorists, but I keep
hearing that the Quran tells Muslims to kill unbelievers.

I don't know what to think about Islam, and I don't know how to control my
anger. - S.B.

A. Islam is not a good religion - it's a great religion. For 1,600 years,
it has had no Inquisitions, sponsored no Crusades and had no Holocaust.

In 1492, when the Jewish people were expelled from Christian Spain, they
were warmly accepted in Muslim Turkey. The Muslim King Hassan of Morocco,
who was allied with Hitler and Mussolini during World War II, refused
Hitler's orders to transport even a single Moroccan Jew to Europe for
extermination. Islamic translators and philosophers, called mutikalimun,
translated Plato, Aristotle and the Greek classics into Arabic when Europe
was in the Dark Ages.

In view of this glorious past, it's particularly tragic that today Islam
has been hijacked just like those planes on Sept. 11. A small number of
fanatics have used Islam to justify their political agenda and their
murderous obsessions.

Islam also teaches that both Moses and Jesus were holy prophets from God.
Jews and Christians are not unbelievers (kafirs), according to explicit
Muslim teaching. In fact, the clear teaching of Islam is that "to kill one
single innocent person is like killing the whole world."

Islam teaches that jihad, which means struggle, justifies holy war only as
a defense of one's homeland (very much like the "just war" teaching of
Christianity and Judaism). It forbids killing innocent noncombatants and
never allows people who are not respected Muslim scholars to issue fatwas,
or religious orders.

Osama bin Laden is not a scholar. His version of fatwas, his terrorism and
his teachings are against every tenet of Muslim law. So condemning all of
Islam for the Sept. 11 attacks is like condemning all of Christianity for
the Crusades or the Inquisition.

Sometimes, religions go through a time of trial and testing, and need a
reformation to return to their true teachings of love and compassion. Islam
seems to be going through such a time now, and we must hear the voices of
those Muslims speaking out against this perversion of a great religion and
pray for their ability to reclaim their faith.

We non-Muslims must keep hatred out of our hearts and guard against making
all Muslims scapegoats for the hateful distortions of a few maniacs.

-----

MUSLIM LEADERS MEET U.S. OFFICIALS
By GLEN ELLYN, The Chicago Tribune, 1/26/2002

Seeking to bridge racial and cultural rifts they say have deepened since
the Sept. 11 attacks, more than two dozen area Muslim leaders attended a
forum led by local U.S. Department of Justice, federal law enforcement and
immigration leaders this week at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn.

Alleged incidents of racial profiling by law enforcement, airport officials
and Immigration and Naturalization Service agents, along with concerns
about the closing of Islamic charities accused of aiding terrorism and
Muslims being detained by the INS and Justice Department, dominated
discussion during the nearly two-hour forum Thursday night. "We are
Americans too. This is where we live. This is where we are born. This is
where we bury our dead. This is where we raise out children. But we do not
feel like we are being treated like Americans," said Oussama Jamall, a
member of the Council of Islamic Organizations in Lombard…

-----

FOLLOWING ISLAM IN THE UNITED STATES
The Washington Post, 1/26/2002

"Islam in America," a free symposium examining the emergence of Islam in
the United States from the 19th century to the present, will be held from
8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Library of Congress, Thomas
Jefferson Building, Room 119, First Street SE between Independence Avenue
and East Capitol Street. 202-707-3302.

-----

LETTER: RACISM AT O'HARE
By Arsalan T. Iftikhar, Council on American-Islamic Relations
The Chicago Tribune, 1/26/2002

When a woman's integrity is jeopardized for no other reason than what
demographic she belongs to, it amounts to nothing less than discrimination.
Regarding Ronald Rodriguez's letter calling profiling the Muslim woman at
O'Hare justified ("Profiling at O'Hare," Voice of the people, Jan. 22), he
fails to remember that the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment
forbids the racial classification of members of a certain racial group
solely for that purpose.

It seems if it were up to him and many others, the Constitution would just
be used as a floormat that they could just walk right over.

-----

To SUBSCRIBE to or UNSUBSCRIBE from this list, go to:

To reach the list moderator, send a message to:

-----

CAIR
Council on American-Islamic Relations
453 New Jersey Avenue, S.E.
Washington, D.C.  20003
Tel: 202-488-8787, 202-489-5108
Fax: 202-488-0833
E-mail: <a href="mailto:cair@cair-net.org?Subject=Re:%20(ai)%20[Fwd:%20ISLAM-INFONET:%20Protecting%20Speech%20on%20Campus/News%20Briefs]%2526In-Reply-To=%2526lt;3C5430E8.90538EDC@speconsult.com">cair@cair-net.org</a>

Sponsored by VeriSign - The Value of Trust
Secure all your Web servers now - with a proven 5-part
strategy. The FREE Server Security Guide shows you how.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/uCuuSA/VdiDAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM