[iwar] [fc:Hackers.Get.Green.Light]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-02-07 07:25:28

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 07:25:28 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Hackers.Get.Green.Light]

Hackers Get Green Light

By Peter Stephenson, Infosecuritynews.com, 2/6/02

There have been endless debates over whether or not to hire hackers. The
arguments have ranged from "It's OK as long as they're not convicted
criminals," to "They're the ones we need to protect ourselves from, so
let's learn from them," and "Never, never, never!" Well, if we are to
believe companies such as WorldCom, the question has been answered, the
debate settled.

In a copyright story on ZDNet last December, Robert Lemos tells the
story of the 'curious hacker' who attacked WorldCom and earned their
appreciation and encouragement. What, in Heaven's name, are these people
thinking? This 'Curious Hacker,' described by Lemos as a "sometimes
consultant and security researcher," poked around in the WorldCom
network over a two-month period before he decided that it would be a
good idea to tell WorldCom what he was doing.

In addition to WorldCom, the Curious Hacker has broken into Microsoft,
Excite@Home and Yahoo. I've been doing intrusion investigations and
intrusion testing for many years. Call me uninformed, but I always
thought that penetrating a private system without permission was a
violation of a fistful of laws, both federal and local. I guess I've
been wasting my time and my clients' time getting appropriate contracts
signed. If this is the 'new order' of things, I can just turn on my
tools and let 'er rip. Perhaps my targets, like WorldCom, will be
(quoting a WorldCom spokesperson) "definitely appreciative." However,
somehow I doubt that.

Folks, this is a very bad thing for a lot of reasons. First, by
encouraging this activity WorldCom has issued an open invitation to the
computer underground that says, "Hack me - just be sure that some day
you tell me what you did."

Billion Dollar Bill recently announced that Microsoft is now going to
put security ahead of everything in its products. No more buggy IIS. No
siree… MS stuff is going to be TIGHT! Good thing, too. MS is a prime
target for hackers, and Microsoft products comprise an entire hacking
specialty in themselves. I wonder if MS is "definitely appreciative" of
the Curious Hacker's activities on their network.

And how about Excite@Home? Now there's a company that has had more than
its share of woes. I'll bet they are not "definitely appreciative" of
the Curious Hacker.

Enough, already! WorldCom has done the entire Internet business
community a grave disservice: first, by not prosecuting this turkey to
the absolute limits of the law and then not whacking him with a whopping
lawsuit, and second, by telling the news media (and, thus the whole
world) just how cool they think this idiot is.

And who is right there fighting on the side of the Curious Hacker? The
director of research and development for a major security consulting
company that proudly hires black-hats. His take on this is that "…
poking around the Internet in the way [the Curious Hacker] does aids
companies' security and shouldn't be considered illegal." I don't know
about you, but that's not a company I am keen to hire. (To be fair, the
company I work for actually competes with this particular consultant,
which is why their name is not mentioned here.)

Our profession is built on integrity perhaps more than skill. It has
long been an axiom of mine that you can buy technology anywhere for a
price. Integrity is a far more precious commodity. We need to step back
and have an introspective look at where we are going when we take
WorldCom's public approach.

Sponsored by VeriSign - The Value of Trust
Do you need to encrypt all your online transactions? Find
the perfect solution in this FREE Guide from VeriSign.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/jWSNbC/UdiDAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM