[iwar] I just visited your site and found many serious problems that I think you should address

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-02-07 16:41:07

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 16:41:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] I just visited your site and found many serious problems that I think you should address

Problem 1 - you require javascript be enabled in my browser in order to
use your site properly.

	This causes me to have to make my browser LESS safe in order to use your site.

		No security site should use Javascript because it induces users to put
		their browsers in an unsafe operating mode.

Problem 2 - Your security test fails the laugh test.  You are not asking
questions that apply to all users, and your answers assume many things
that are not true of my situation.

	Example: 10.  Look at the security setting on your Internet
	browser software.  Is it set to:
		High, Medium, Low...

	Answer - none of the above.  My browser doesn't have these settings.
	You don't provide the proepr default.

	Example: Extra credit: The backups are safely stored more than 50 miles away
                from the computer the files are from.

	Problem: I presume you assert that the answer should be YES - but this is
	foolishness for the vast majority of computer users.  It is valid
	against nuclear war perhaps, but not for the average user.

	Example: 7. Passwords should be as hard to guess as possible. They should
               have numbers, upper case letters, and lower case letters, all mixed in.
               Do you use passwords with: <set of options>

	Problem: If I tell you the answer I am revealing something about my
		password to you - which is not a very good idea if I am going to
		stay safe.  How about an option like:
			- Telling others characteristics of my password would be unsafe.
		All other answers are wrong.

I could go on, buyt I think you should consult with at least one real
expert on security before you push these foolish things on the
unsuspecting public.

FC
--This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to serve--
Fred Cohen		Fred Cohen & Associates.........tel/fax:925-454-0171
fc@all.net		The University of New Haven.....http://www.unhca.com/
http://all.net/		Sandia National Laboratories....tel:925-294-2087

Sponsored by VeriSign - The Value of Trust
Pinpoint the right security solution for your company - FREE
Guide from industry leader VeriSign gives you all the facts.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/lWSNbC/WdiDAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM