Re: [iwar] [fc:Microsoft.changes.Windows.XP.online.'Product.Use.Rights']

From: e.r. (fastflyer28@yahoo.com)
Date: 2002-02-14 23:39:02

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 23:39:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:Microsoft.changes.Windows.XP.online.'Product.Use.Rights']

I beta tested XP-forgive me, but part of my job- and this was the first
time I had seen very heavy handed legalese concerning "Piracy". I know
the fellow at Microsoft that runs this program and with the advent of
cd-burners, the product ID that you had to have to use your cd-rom was
not going to help Billy and friends gets ALL of their royalties
anymore.  Thus this scheme of volume licensing came up so that each
copy  must be paid for.  EX-if you are the sys admin of a cluster of 20
PC's, the "volume" concept is that even if you only get one physical
disc for XP, you will have to pay for 20.  A yearly subscription fee
may become part of this deal until they loose enough customers that
they will get their sanity back.  While step one, volume licenses is
happening even with Linux and other OS, the yearly fee on top may be a
killer for Microsoft given how large they are planning to make it. It
is the Country Club concept; pay a huge entrance fee with yearly
upkeep.  Possibly the high volume fees help other operating systems in
the market win MS market share, or they price themselves out of the
market with volume and annual fees.  Then Microsoft's stock price
stability will fall like a rock, P/E ratios do the same and they will
be forced to get their pricing sanity back. If you add this to Fred's
info below, the entire package could be setting Microsoft up for a
large fall. Micrales do occur.

href="http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/02/11/020211opfoster.xml">http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/02/11/020211opfoster.xml>

> BILL GATES SAYS security is Microsoft's top priority, but just whose
> security does he have in mind? Consider some of Microsoft's recent
> boilerplate legalese -- language you or your company might already
> have
> unknowingly accepted -- and then decide for yourself.
>
> The language is contained in the Product Use Rights (PUR) document
> that
> can be found at www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources. As the PUR
> document is part of most customers' volume license agreements and is
> subject to periodic change, in theory Microsoft customers should
> check
> it regularly to see what rights Microsoft has decided to grant or
> take
> away.
>
> You can be forgiven if you feel like you have better things to do
> with
> your life than reading and rereading all this mind-numbing legal
> gobbledygook. Fortunately, one Microsoft customer did review the PUR
> document recently and noticed a change. In the section on Windows XP
> Professional, he found the "Internet-Based Services Components"
> paragraph that said in part, "You acknowledge and agree that
> Microsoft
> may automatically check the version of the Product and/or its
> components
> that you are utilizing and may provide upgrades or fixes to the
> Product
> that will be automatically downloaded to your Workstation Computer."
>
> The reader was stunned. "By changing that term in the PUR, Microsoft
> has
> found a creative way to obtain authorization from users to access
> their
> workstations at will," he said. "How many customers are going to
> review
> this PDF file and realize they've given Microsoft this right? And all
> the risk for the security and privacy violations due to this are
> neatly
> put on the customer's shoulders, not Microsoft's."

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company - FREE
Guide from industry leader VeriSign gives you all the facts.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/lWSNbC/WdiDAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM