Re: [iwar] [fc:CIA,.FBI.Developing.Intelligence.Supercomputer]

From: e.r. (fastflyer28@yahoo.com)
Date: 2002-02-14 23:43:09

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 23:43:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:CIA,.FBI.Developing.Intelligence.Supercomputer]

There was $500 million in the initial Internet Superhighway Bill of
Black $ in case such a contingency came up. This appeared in an open
source journal.

href="http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0202/021202gsn1.htm">http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0202/021202gsn1.htm>

> [...]
> the proliferation
> of dangerous weapons, officials said.
>
> Utilizing the types of supercomputers already used by private
> industry to conduct
> marketing research, the CIA, FBI and other investigative agencies
> should be able
> to move beyond Counterintelligence-21--an information-sharing system
> now being used
> but already considered outdated, analysts said. The new system would
> take advantage
> of a faster, more comprehensive database, they said.
>
> The new system under development should "meet the needs of all the
> consumers," the
> U.S. official said. "A lot of it is driven by [Homeland Security
> Director] Tom Ridge's
> office. It's something [CIA and FBI officials are] working on
> continuously. They're
> continuously meeting, discussing and designing the new database."
>
> "It's been the topic of discussion" during meetings between Ridge and
> President
> Bush, Johndroe said.
>
> Casting a Larger Net
>
> A new supercomputer "will only help the information flow between the
> agencies, particularly
> between the federal agencies and the state and local authorities,"
> the U.S. official
> said. "It's going to help the people who need it the most--first
> responders, the
> military, whoever."
>
> The officials and analysts have said that it could be dangerous for
> too many people
> to get their hands on classified information during the war on
> terrorism, a concern
> balanced by the need to get information to all pertinent officials,
> including state
> and local authorities.
>
> There are ways to safeguard the information on a single database, so
> that data is
> shared only on a "need to know" basis, they said.
>
> Currently when intelligence agencies share information they do not
> provide raw data.
> Instead they offer outside agencies their interpretations of such
> data, a slow, cumbersome
> and often incomplete process, analysts said.
>
> To make the most of scarce resources, intelligence officials need to
> make their
> raw data available to pertinent agencies or officials, analysts
> added.
>
> FBI officials would not comment, but the U.S. official said the major
> challenge
> in devising a new supercomputer is making sure it has all the proper
> safeguards needed
> to protect the vital information it provides.
>
> "Intelligence agencies are very reluctant to put a lot of information
> on a database
> that can be shared," Bremer said. "There are very few home runs in
> counterintelligence.
> You win with a lot of bunts and singles."

Do you need to encrypt all your online transactions? Find
the perfect solution in this FREE Guide from VeriSign.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/jWSNbC/UdiDAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM