Re: [iwar] [fc:Security.Systems.Standards.and.Certification.Act]

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2002-03-04 11:59:00

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 11:59:00 -0800
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:Security.Systems.Standards.and.Certification.Act]

By my read of this act, it would be illegal for me to write a simple
"hex-dump" utility, using a standard C compiler, and then share (i.e.,
"traffic in") it with anyone.  It this how others read it?

   "Compiling Without a License - Punishable By Law"

Slight rearrangement of elements below, to make the case.

At 07:32 AM 3/4/02 -0800, Declan wrote:
>Security Systems Standards and Certification Act
>
>Sponsors: Sen. Fritz Hollings (D-S.C.), chairman of the Senate Commerce
>committee, and Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska). Draft dated August 6, 2001. This
>bill has not been introduced as of September 7, 2001.

[snip]

>Sec. 101: Prohibition of Certain Devices
>
>(a) In General -- It is unlawful to manufacture, import, offer to the
>public, provide or otherwise traffic in any interactive digital device that
>does not include and utilize certified security technologies that adhere to
>the security system standards adopted under section 104.

Where "interactive digital device" is defined by:

>(3) Interactive digital device -- The term "interactive digital device"
>means "any machine, device, product, software, or technology, whether or not
>included with or as part of some other machine, device, product, software,
>or technology, that is designed, marketed or used for the primary purpose
>of, and that is capable of, storing, retrieving, processing, performing,
>transmitting, receiving, or copying information in digital form."

And "certified security technology" is defined by:

>(1) Certified security technology -- The term "certified security
>technology" means a security technology certified by the Secretary of
>Commerce under section 105.

Thus, unless and until I get my lousy "hex-dump" utility (interactive
digital device) to utilize "a security technology certified by the
Secretary of Commerce" (certified security technology), I will be in
violation of federal law if and when I "offer to the public, provide, or
otherwise traffic in" this simple utility.

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!