Re: [iwar] [fc:Security.Systems.Standards.and.Certification.Act]

From: skolyamibyor@yahoo.com
Date: 2002-03-07 07:03:38

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: skolyamibyor@yahoo.com
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 10:03:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [iwar]  [fc:Security.Systems.Standards.and.Certification.Act]

Precisely the discussion I hoped to inspire with my little
question. Commerce (whether capitalized or not) is running
the show these days. Next time you're in, say, Walmart or
CVS, take a good look around at their most prominent
displays.  The National Enquirer (a known propaganda factory
aimed at the hopelessly ignorant and gullible); magazines
like Seventeen, Self, Cosmo, and Redbook that try to focus
women on trivia like Great Sex! Hide those wrinkles! Lose
that flab! 99 Jeans that shape your butt! and so on.  And
then there's the latest issue of Family Circle: In the
center is a big text announcement about a new way to lose
weight, but it's surrounded by large photos of chocolate-
frosted cookies and cakes.
This "Distract, Confuse, Divert, & SELL!" phenomenon first
hit me in the face in 1988 when I returned to the States
after living in Ireland for 6 years. It was bad enough then
to cause serious culture shock; now it's just plain scary.
Any opinions as to the who's behind this madness and their
true motives?
SKByor
3/7/2002 12:23:03 AM, "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  To:     iwar@yahoogroups.com
>
>  From:   "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
>  Date:   Wed, 6 Mar 2002 21:23:03 -0800 (PST)
>  Subject:Re: [iwar]
[fc:Security.Systems.Standards.and.Certification.Act]

>  Tony- take it one step worse. The Sec Commerce is is
reality the Sec. of
>  Graft, Vice and international trade scams for the
President.  Makes it all
>  legal and tidy. I recognize that export controls and
others matters of non-
>  import according to the Prez is handled by Commerce. It
seems like if a
>  President is going to hit the international trade ooze,
Commerce will be
>  more than ready to help out.  In some cases, defense
exports are dealt with
>  by Commerce. That is so wrong  that it is hard to notice
anyone seeing it
>  right.
>  They always seem to make John Goti seem like an alter
boy!
> [...]
>  > >Security Systems Standards and Certification Act
>  > >
>  > >Sponsors: Sen. Fritz Hollings (D-S.C.), chairman of
>  > the Senate Commerce
>  > >committee, and Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska). Draft
>  > dated August 6, 2001. This
>  > >bill has not been introduced as of September 7,
>  > 2001.
>  >
>  > [snip]
>  >
>  > >Sec. 101: Prohibition of Certain Devices
>  > >
>  > >(a) In General -- It is unlawful to manufacture,
>  > import, offer to the
>  > >public, provide or otherwise traffic in any
>  > interactive digital device that
>  > >does not include and utilize certified security
>  > technologies that adhere to
>  > >the security system standards adopted under section
>  > 104.
>  >
>  > Where "interactive digital device" is defined by:
>  >
>  > >(3) Interactive digital device -- The term
>  > "interactive digital device"
>  > >means "any machine, device, product, software, or
>  > technology, whether or not
>  > >included with or as part of some other machine,
>  > device, product, software,
>  > >or technology, that is designed, marketed or used
>  > for the primary purpose
>  > >of, and that is capable of, storing, retrieving,
>  > processing, performing,
>  > >transmitting, receiving, or copying information in
>  > digital form."
>  >
>  > And "certified security technology" is defined by:
>  >
>  > >(1) Certified security technology -- The term
>  > "certified security
>  > >technology" means a security technology certified
>  > by the Secretary of
>  > >Commerce under section 105.
>  >
>  >
>  > Thus, unless and until I get my lousy "hex-dump"
>  > utility (interactive
>  > digital device) to utilize "a security technology
>  > certified by the
>  > Secretary of Commerce" (certified security
>  > technology), I will be in
>  > violation of federal law if and when I "offer to the
>  > public, provide, or
>  > otherwise traffic in" this simple utility.
>  >
>  > ____tony____
>  >
>  >
>  > Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
>  > Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
>  > Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
>  > Livermore, CA 94551-9900
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >

>  Try FREE Yahoo! Mail - the world's greatest free email!

of Service.
SKByor

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!